You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Big Bike Wobbles

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

expatgirl

Sep 10

expatgirl says:

Big Bike Wobbles

I have just bought myself a lovely new Ducati Monster M696.  It is fab and my dream bike, so very happy with it.

However, I have a couple of issues.  
I have dropped it twice already - just little ones - nothing major or in a dangerous situation.  
Is there anyway to assist keeping a bike from going over?  Build the strength in my legs etc?  Or is it unrealistic to think I could keep it up.
Also, my front brakes is very 'stabby'.  A small squeeze on the front brake when i'm coming to a stop is enough to give me a jolt (the reason I dropped it the first time).
Will the front brake ease off with use, or should I get it adjusted?
Appreciate any advice.  :smiley:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 June 2012 20:46)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

expatgirl

It sounds like your grabbing the break too hard.Gently apply pressure to the front break.

We've all dropped a bike at some point or another,even just little ones:smile.Are your feet flat on the floor or are you on tiptoes?

Reply to this Topic
zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

erm

you could wash the butter from ypur fingers:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
expatgirl

Sep 10

expatgirl says:

aehewitt

I am on the balls of my feet (not quite feet down but better than tiptoes).  I can one foot completely down at the lights/junction etc, as I had a  lowered seat fitted.  Just as well as nothing would reach the ground!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As aeh

be very, very gentle on the front when coming to a halt.

Once a bike goes over to a point, there's no getting it back - it's merely a case of hoping damage isn't serious.

If you haven't had the bike long, you'll need time to adjust to it and get a feel for it.

Again, as aeh, we've all dropped bikes at some point, and those that haven't, will do it - its easier done than people think.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

brakes

Sounds like your last bike had crap front/back brakes and a lower seat,you should really be able to put both feet flat on the ground when stopped.I`ve had trail bikes and tip/toed but when it comes to a camber or a pothole or a dip i`ve struggled and been in pain when nearly stopping.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Use the front brake to lose speed

use the rear in traffic or when going slow, if using the front, don't grab, be gentle and squeeze slowly and progressively.

If it's just confidence have a half day with an instructor, will ensure you get correct advice and regain confidence okay

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

light braking

The fact that you have not had the bike long will be a factor, as you get used to it your confidence will grow, if you can get one foot down fully when at a stop then that should be ok, however you should try using only 2 fingers when braking (this is what I do, I only ever have a maximum of 2 covering the lever at any time) you only need to apply light pressure with modern day braking systems 

:wink:

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

expatgirl

It has already been mentioned.

Nothing wrong with your brakes.

Most bikes now have two big discs and calipers on the front and one small disc / caliper on the rear.

There is far too much braking power available to control a bike with the front brake at slow speed.

You will find using the front brake at slow speed say approaching a junction, that the front tends to bite a little too much, the front end dives a little, and steering becomes heavy.

If you use rear brake for slow speed, you drag the rear end. This make s the rear squat a little, bike doesn't nose dive and steering is easier. simply because there are now no forces in the front end.

when out on the open road and you want to lose some speed Front brake (then a little rear) and when down to 20mph and below rear brake.

Another good tip, when you approach junctions (give way etc) point the bike in the direction you want to go if it is safe to do so. This allows you to pull away on a straighter line (excelerate quicker) and avoid those horrible sharp corners.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

expatgirl

It just sounds like you just need to bond with your bike a bit more.Don't give up.!!!!:biggrin:

As always great advice from the lads on the forum.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

expatgirl

Just some reassuring words

I dropped my TRX 850 the day I bought it. reason was simple, I wasn't used to it and I did something wrong.

Because it was a twin I didn't give it enough revs turning into a junction, it stalled and I dropped it. Big mistake was leaning into the corner at slow speed. If I had kept it upright I wouldn't have dropped it.

If you are on your tip toes you will obviously be concerned about dropping your bike. You must get into the habit of keeping the bike upright and use the rear brake at slow speed. (fingers of the front brake lever). This will keep the front end light and easy to turn. (keep chin up and look where you want to go) and you should feel more in control and your convindence will increase.

You are not alone, I have been involved in slow riding coaching and its suprising how nervous some riders are, but simple things like using rear brake make a big difference.

Please let me know how you get on.

P.s I smile when I see riders that have outriggers, those that drop both feet down at slow speed incase they drop it! It really is so simple to fix.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices