You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Big Bike Wobbles

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

expatgirl

Sep 10

expatgirl says:

Big Bike Wobbles

I have just bought myself a lovely new Ducati Monster M696.  It is fab and my dream bike, so very happy with it.

However, I have a couple of issues.  
I have dropped it twice already - just little ones - nothing major or in a dangerous situation.  
Is there anyway to assist keeping a bike from going over?  Build the strength in my legs etc?  Or is it unrealistic to think I could keep it up.
Also, my front brakes is very 'stabby'.  A small squeeze on the front brake when i'm coming to a stop is enough to give me a jolt (the reason I dropped it the first time).
Will the front brake ease off with use, or should I get it adjusted?
Appreciate any advice.  :smiley:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 June 2012 20:46)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

expatgirl:

There are a combination of errors which can cause you to drop a bike like this.  Nerves can make it worse.

Try putting only a single finger on the front brake (if you must use the front), and DO NOT grab it.  Let it ease to a gentle halt.  Look up, 1000-yard stare straight forward - do not look down at the ground.  Keep the handlebar straight, and your upper body more relaxed.

You'd be better off using the rear brake only, but some new riders don't like stopping with the rear, because they fear the bike will slam down on the right before they get a chance to put their foot down (it won't, by the way).   You can stop with the front only, but must be very gentle and gradual with the action.

You might consider a lowering kit for the bike too, makes a world of difference to get a foot solidly on the ground without leaning.

Reply to this Topic
flatspots

Aug 09

flatspots says:

If you've bought it from a dealer it may be worth getting them to have a quick look at the front brake just in case it's binding a little. If not, you have the peace of mind. As already said try the rear brake for the low speed stuff.

Being a new bigger bike the extra weight will take a little getting used to. Also, try to give yourself a little more time just before braking so that you are not rushed. That way you can keep the process smoother :smile   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
expatgirl

Sep 10

expatgirl says:

Many thanks

Many thanks for all the positive advice.  

On both times I dropped the bike I was using the front brake so will concentrate on using the back brake more.  Also the 2 finger tip is a good one - never done that before but it makes sense.
Think I just need to get a few miles under my belt and get a bit of practice at slow speeds.
Cheers guys. :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle