Skip to content

General Fresh faced. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Fresh faced.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

TheLikelyLad

Jun 12

TheLikelyLad says:

Fresh faced.

Hello guys and girls,

Brand new to MCN and have no idea if I'm posting this in the right place or anything (apologies in advance).

Question time for a newbie. I am about to enter the world of motorbikes as I feel mature enough for them now (also I think my wallet would appreciate a change of daily commute cost!) however as a full car license holder I am confused to my bike entitlement.

Well aware of CBT and tests etc however do I need to reapply to the DVLA for provisional entitlement for the bike? I have a full car license as I said, obtained in 2006. I have no Cat A entitlement on it but I have a code 122 (something to do with mopeds?) I was under the impression I was good to go for CBT with what I have but I'm now in some doubt from various postings. Can anyone clear this up and give me a definitive answer? Don't fancy phoning the DVLA...:doubt:

Cheers,

Scott

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 June 2012 00:16)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Think you're OK

Full car license has automatic provisional entitlement for other classes of vehicle, so you'll be okay

If in doubt give a quick call to your CBT school, remove the doubt for sure

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Hi Scott

Welcome to the loony bin!

If you don't have provisional M/C entitlement on your licence at the moment you will need to send it back to the DVLA to have it added.

It's all listed here...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/index.htm

Alternatively just go & have a chat with your local training school

Happy Riding:smile

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Entitlement

As far as I'm aware unless the box was ticked requesting provisional M/C entitlement when the licence was sent to have full car entitlement added it won't have it. With this being the case it will need to be sent to the DVLA to be added.

As it's a while since I last checked I could well be wrong (not for the first time!:lol:) but, if it's not in the entitlement box on the licence then I'm guessing it's still the same.

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

AS

far as I know, that entitlement on the licence means you can ride a small power machine subject to passing your CBT (which is practically impossible to fail) for up to 2 years whereupon you will have to either:

a/ retake your CBT giving you 2 more years or..

b/ Go for the full licence (now in 2 parts I believe) and ride any bike

So pretty sure you don't need to notify the DVLA of anything.

Best of luck mate   :wink:

Reply to this Topic
TheLikelyLad

Jun 12

TheLikelyLad says:

Sorted!

Cheers folks, with that encouragement I took the time to actually look at my paper licence. It appears that I do have Cat A provisional entitlement on that, it just doens't mention it on the photocard!

Success! Another couple of weeks off work, CBT to be booked in that time. Just hope I get a decent day for it...:doubt:

On a slightly changed note I am thinking of doing the CBT then getting a 125 for a year to get used to the roads on a bike then attempting direct access next year as I'm 24 and seems a bit pointless just to stop at getting a 125 licence. Thoughts?

Also whats the views on the 125 CBR? I'm a fairly short guy (5'7") which I am acutely aware of whenever thinking about bikes!

Cheers again,

Scott

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Yeah mate..

..That's the perfect way.. learn for a year on a small bike, it's harder than you think and you're better off learning about emergency reactions on a lighter bike at less speed.

Then when you're confident of your abilities.... And just a little bit bored of the lack of power it's time to move up and you'll be ready for it.

Very sensible!! ..Don't stop that! 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices