Skip to content

General front or back brake? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > front or back brake?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

front or back brake?

just been reading some advice given to a poster who was having trouble keeping bike upright when braking.

I however only use the back brake when on gravel or such like, after over 25 years have I been doing it wrong all this time?

I must say i use a lot of engine breaking, and the brakes on this new one are crap, HH hopefully to be fitted

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 June 2012 18:03)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Front

Having finally replaced my back brake after 40k+ miles, I have noticed that I only use it on downhill entries to roundabouts.

The o'h never uses his.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

nj

glad I'm not the only one, do you think it's an age thing as newer riders are taught better than we were, or not taught at all back in the days

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

rarely bother

the back brake unless in a very tight spot in an emergency, the fronts enough for me all the time.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I

use mine all the time, town riding,obs,correct gear selection and rear brake if needed,no?.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

unit

I'd forgotten where mine was:shock: but then I'm crap riding a bike now:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Rear brake

What about when coming to a complete halt, though?

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

don't use it then

either:wacko:

oh dear:blink:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Rear Brake

I use mine frequently. Using the rear brake when stopping  with a pillion can reduce the forward shifting of the passenger, it can help settle the bike when going in to a corner without excessive forward pitching, it's essential for balance point wheelies (not that I'd ever advocate that sort of thing :wink:) and can slightly stop the front end being pushed when going for it in a bend. 

From some of the comments I can understand why Honda developed combined braking systems. If you learn how to use the rear brake then you realise CBS systems take options away from the rider as a bit of rear brake can get you out of situations that a handfull of front brake would get you in to.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

brakes

we should really use our back brake to the maximum because a back end skid/ slide can be controlled easier than an uncontrolled  front.So spondonste is talking sense to me.:smile

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Rear brake

Spondonste - agreed about the combined brakes.  This new FJR of mine has a semi-combined system.  It apparently also uses just a small proportion of the front brake when the rear is applied.   Not had it long, but it seems to work pretty well.

Not using the rear at all to come to a dead halt in a hurry seems a bit unwise to me... I'd have thought you'd want to slacken off the front towards the very end, and finish on the rear.  Otherwise, the bike is going to be bottoming out on the forks, anything less that completely straight bars is going to want to pitch you off.

JMHO... I'd like to hear others weigh in on this.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices