Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What's your opinion of hi-vis? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What's your opinion of hi-vis?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What's your opinion of hi-vis?

From January next year all French motorcyclists will have to wear a certain amount of hi-vis over their jacket. Good thing? What's your opinion of hi-vis? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 June 2012 15:17)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"sorry i'm on my soap box again".

snev.

True story my freind. :(

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Better Idea

I suggest a white bike and black jacket. The bike and jacket should have “POLITE” in a large, contrasting color font on them.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

GFYALL

I bet you have to..... "Polish Your Helmet", an awfull lot.

Reply to this Topic
GFYALL

Dec 09

GFYALL says:

snev

Polish Your Helmet!

I had to look that up in the urban dictionary.  :-)

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Waste of time

It makes no difference i've seen car drivers look directly at a biker even cyclists and still just pull directly into their path, including doing U turns in front of them.

The best defence is to look out for yourself, try to be a mind reader and always be on your guard for the twats in steel cages better known as tank drivers.

Oh and get a helmet cam for evidence so you can make your claim against them when they trash your bike.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

They will not see you

My mate was on the M25 pulled up in traffic in a white volkswagen caddy when a stupid woman shunted him up the rear at 30mph+ in dry conditions with excellent visibility.

Usual excuses, the brakes failed and I could not stop.

Highly likely she was not concentrating, my guess is the "driver" was on the phone.

How can you miss a van with a large white rear area eh?

Answer: By not looking at the road.

You cannot make people look at hivis, so it's use is very limited.

When i ride I assume that I'm totally invisible to all other road users and pedestrians, much safer than relying on a bit of yellow plastic to indicate your presence to those who do not look.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

safer road design is needed

now it's the people on mainland europe that are pressing for this, but in the uk we are still waiting on safer road surfaces, properly maintained road, road marking that you can see , better traffic separation, redesign traffic furniture, aware car drivers, better road signage, improved road layouts with increased contact times at out of town T junctions and a load of other stuff, so putting on a hi-vis anything is not going to reduce accidents in the UK without an investment in our road. The roads in the UK are imho the most dangerous in europe by design, road surface and very badly signposted, with the worst lane markings and invisible police presents.      

Reply to this Topic
kiltmaker

Jul 10

kiltmaker says:

It helps

I have to say that it certainly works! As an instructor I wear it all day anyway, but my last bike was a zxr750 in the gitanes blue with luminous Pink wheels, 18 months and never pulled out in front of. Now a black fz8 and been pulled out on twice!! Coincidence or was I more obvious?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

kiltmaker

Are you saying it was the colour of the bike that helped and you were not wearing Hi Vis kit, or that you were wearing Hi Vis whilst riding the FZ8 and someone still pulled out?

Reply to this Topic
gremlinbyname

Apr 12

Insurance

I read somewhere that insurance companies are now taking what gear you wear including any hi-viz kit to consideration when evaluating your claim. Also, i think anyone who gets out of their car and pronounces 'SMIDSY' should be instantly charged with Driving without due care and attention. Drivers just need a legal incentive to not hit bikes the way they have a legal and financial incentive not to speed. ... and automatic retests for everyone over 50 would be good too! *takes cover*

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices