Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What's your opinion of hi-vis? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What's your opinion of hi-vis?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What's your opinion of hi-vis?

From January next year all French motorcyclists will have to wear a certain amount of hi-vis over their jacket. Good thing? What's your opinion of hi-vis? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 June 2012 15:17)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

retests at 50...

exacttheflippinglutley.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

restests at 50

I think regular evaluation every 5 years, i.e. theory, hazard awareness and eyesight test.  Having to do a full retest isn't necessary and would be a major pain. Most old people wouldn't be able to pass theory or hazard awareness so they'd pretty much all disappear from the roads anyway.
Hi-Viz is a good idea in bad weather conditions, not sure it makes much difference otherwise.
A flashing blue light on your helmet might help.

Reply to this Topic
europeben

Apr 12

europeben says:

It's not the French, nor the Hi-Vis.

Having just arrived at my parents house in southern France from Nottingham, I've noticed it's neither the French, nor the Hi-Viz, that is the problem. The problem is our inflated sense of self-righteousness over in Britain. We are the KING of the roads and nobody should tell us how to do things is essentially the spirit over on the island. I've come down here, done 1200 km on my 125 on a variety of roads including the motorways, country roads, Nationales, Departementales, etc. The remarkable thing is that despite riding in a way that would have gotten me banged up in the UK a long long time ago, the French are receptive to me and my motorbike. They always move out of the way, the expect me to come past on the white line when there's traffic coming the other way. As long as you thank them by sticking your foot out, everyone is happy. Over in Britain, when you overtake, the car driver accellerates, which I need not tell you all, is very dangerous. Also, with regards to the 106bhp limit. Yes it's a law, but this is France. How many people do you think actually follow it, and do you think the police care? Biker-cops in France are amongst the coolest cops around, and the general national psyche over here, is of solidarity amongst road users. They flash their lights if cops are coming up, and a little hand gesture is all thats needed as a thank-you. I will take biking in France over biking in the UK any day.

Reply to this Topic
GFYALL

Dec 09

GFYALL says:

Agree with Europeben

On reflection Europeben is right.  The only time I was ever pulled over in France was because the cops wanted to have a look at my bike.  They were full of compliments and very nice about it, despite them having caused me a scare.  It was a black BMW K1300S with an Akrapovic race only exhaust system.  They especially loved the  exhaust.  In the UK I'm sure I would have got points and a fine. 

I still think silly laws, like the 106bhp limit are silly regardless of whether they are adhered to.  Same goes for the retro reflective law that we're calling Hi-Vis here.  It makes obeying the good laws more difficult when some are obeyed and others ignored.

The maddest law in France was priorite adroite - giving way to all traffic coming onto your road from the right, however slow and dangerous.  I don't know if they still have that one, or it's just ignored.

Reply to this Topic
GFYALL

Dec 09

GFYALL says:

More French madness

Now the Frenchies want all cars and bikes to have to carry alcohol breathelizer kits.  And surprise surprise the two manufactures that are having a boom time, are both....French.  I can just imagine how many drunks are going to not get in their cars, or bikes, search for their tiny breathelizer, then work out how it works, blow, and decide not to ride, drive.  Yes that's very likely!

They are completely bonkers.  So we have Retro Hi Viz clothing, 106bhp bikes for locals, no Sat Nav warnings of speed cameras, breathelizer kits.... What a pain in the derriere it'll be to drive legally in France.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Makes sweet FA difference IMO. In order to see you, a driver has to first direct their attention away from the mobile phones, lipsticks, coffees, magazines (yes I overtook a guy once who was reading a magazine on a motorway whilst 'driving') and all the other countless distractions drivers have. They only thing I rely on is the assumption that I will NOT be seen by drivers. I pretend I'm invisible and use my throttle to make and keep large buffers. The speeding tickets I get are the price for I pay for not dying. Well worth it really.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices