Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: What are the best tyres? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: What are the best tyres?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: What are the best tyres?

I passed my test two years ago and have been gradually getting more confident on my 2004 Honda Fireblade. I've now got to fit some new tyres and want to know how much difference the best sticky rubber will have. Or should I just put on some sports touring tyres? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 June 2012 15:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Mr. Luck

Jan 08

Mr. Luck says:

Fair Weather Rider or Die Hard..?

If you ride in all weathers the BT023's, I think are the best, not nearly as sticky as full on sports tyres but you'll never loose confidence even if they slide a bit when pushing on in the dry.....

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyones got one and some stink more than others

The simple answer is whatever works best for you personally, which you'll only learn through trial and error.

These days sport touring tyres offer stacks of grip and usually have a more flexible carcass than the more sporty options, making them more comfortable and forgiving as a tyre.

Don't be fooled into thinking a mega grippy super dooper sport tyre will automatically make you go faster. Its chicken and egg. To get the best out of that sort of tyre you have to ride them quite hard. If you don't, they won't feel good and you'll most likely ride more slowly!

ALSO, be aware that a new set of tyres will need to be 'scrubbed in' before giving it the beans, this is due to the  releasing agent which is used to get the tyres out of the mould during production. See below for consequences

http://youtu.be/Q9zNUPDmnz4

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
terrierist

Jun 12

terrierist says:

Most tyres on the market designed for sports tourers will out perform the majority of riders.. Whatever the bike. A lot of peeing contests apply when it come to tyres, it depends on how deep your pockets are and how often you ride.

If you're out daily and do quite a bit of commuting, sports touring. If you're a once a month thrasher in the summer, go for a full out sports tyre.

A full on sports tyre can soon be worn out (1000 miles, easily), and if you ride very regularly, can become uber expensive.

If you want the best of both worlds, try a Mich Pilot Road 3, I've had them fitted for 6000 miles now, and never a blip, showing just about half worn now, but then again I don't push hard. Wet grip is superb, and even a faulty valve allowing majority deflation on the Motorway caused little drama.

Reply to this Topic
tiddmyster

Oct 05

tiddmyster says:

The problem with tyres is personal choice .. and whether u want a longer lasting tyre or not and price ..super sporty tyres very rarely get used to their potential, I have just put a set of Dunlop sportsmarts on my S1000 very good tyre feedback good too , grip level high in wet ..

Reply to this Topic
RoscoPdrivetrain

Nov 11

depends on how much money you want to spend, proper sports tyres offer way more grip and feed back than sports touring tyres but last half as long. I run dunlop qualifiers which are great but I go through three rears and two fronts over a summer (about 600-700 quids worth) sports touring tyres are still good and will save you cash but I always go with the sticky stuff as I've had the front sliding with sports touring tyres which makes my arse go like a rabbits nose.

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

Rubber ones

and not dunlops on a sports bike

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Depends

If it is just for road use (all weather or fair weather or just Sunday morning blasts), doen't matter if you've got a sports bike; sports tourers, e.g BT-13, Roadsmart, Pilot Road 2 etc (plenty out there now). They will be good enough. They'll heat up fast in the good old English summer and give you plenty of grip and last well.

If you plan to take it on the track, then Bridgestone S20, Dunlop Sportsmarts are great examples at do it all tyres. Again, they'll heat up quick and give good grip on track. More expensive though.

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

i like the look of the pilot road 3's

i cant find a bad word about them bar price.............i ride a gsxr thou and am one of the few that admit i dont push the rubber on the queens highway though i do like an occasional track day......the reviews on these things say they do it all......im booked in to have them fitted so i will find out in good time if its exactly what they say on the tin (and reviews)

Reply to this Topic
arnunn

Jul 06

arnunn says:

For many years the daily commute added up to about 50,000 kms a year, (In Spain, split between a Hayabusa and a Bandit) Sports touring tyres but with a few 'treat' tyres now and then. Metzler's were good but continuity was really bad, a proper lottery, same as Avon unfortunately. I cant recall a decent Bridgestone in over 300,000 kms, remember some awful ones though! Haven't had a 'newer' Dunlop so can't comment, and the same for those expensive Pirelli jobs. Michelin, pilot power 2CT's are a firm favorite, even on the Hayabusa, or a Metzler Z8 if you can find a decent front!

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Round Rubber Ones

Me and a few mates have bikes ranging from Ducati 999's to Suzuki GSXR's and we all run Bridgestone BT 016's. They give good feedback and are grippy enough to have lots of fun on and are also really good in the wet, i personally get about 7000 miles out of a pair of them.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices