Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

CB500s problem

Hi,

My CB500s (2000 model with 63,000 on the clock) has developed a weird issue. It's engine has suddenly started making a hitting noise at the same frequency and in time with the engine. Its not massively loud or super awful... but as I ride it every day its very obvious to me. It just started doing it this evening.

Does that sound very serious?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 June 2012 23:42)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"Hitting" noise?

Difficult to tell without hearing it, or where precisely its coming from.

When did it last get an oil / filter change?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CB 500S 2000

Hi Geoffart

(HITTING NOISE)

Is it a hitting noise,:shock:not a rattle,does it do this at stand still or only as you ride it?as AdieR says first get the oil and filter changed(check the oil for an shiny flecks of metal or aluminium you can run a magnet through the oil but this will only pick up metal not aluminium)If its all clear and with fresh oil the noise persists could be the cam chain tensioner(again as AdieR says difficult without being able to hear it)Could just be carbs going out of balance causing a slight uneven running which is accentuated with it being a twin,worst case scenario it could be a balance shaft,or even worse a big end(hope not)these engines are pretty bulletproof so probably wont be a end.Good Luck.

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

replacment.

thanks.

I took it to a mechanic and he thinks it might be the cam chain is on max adjustment and would need engine taking to bits to replace it... which would cost more than the value of the bike (00 model with 64k on the clock). 

Was thinking of getting myself a CBR600 and getting shot of it. Just spent £300 on getting forks replaces as well. 

Will try oil change and filter too.

Its a slight hitting noise (clicking/ hitting metalic sound, no rattling).  Happens whenever engine is running. Comes from the engine itself and goes with the pistons, in time. So with every piston thump, you get a metalic hit sound. Happens when stationary or moving. Problem appears to have got a bit worse with a few short rides... but may be just that i think its got worse.  Its very noticable, but its not super loud. 

oil was last changed about a year ago and it does about 26 miles every 5 days a week.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CB 500S 2000

Hi again

Think i would be replacing the camchain tensioner,and the oil just for good measure.Dave Silver has them for £53

HONDA CB500 1996-2002 CAM CHAIN TENSIONER AND GASKET NEW 14520MY5851

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB500Y-2000/

(I took it to a mechanic and he thinks it might be the cam chain is on max adjustment)       

He thinks it's on its max not good enough:mad:

Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

the big bike shop in the sky

thats where this bike is now. 

Not before it broke down on a really important meet I had with someone.  Prob the bike getting back at me for having to say goodbye. 

Actually, I think it might have been one of those phone charger you buy that lug onto the battery that kept draining it... so it was the battery (this time!). 

Thanks for your help guys.  Would have loved to keep it on the road... it really was a lovely bike to ride!

I have a much newer GSX650f.  Not amazed with the acceleration yet, but that might have been because it was hurling down yesterday and i was careful on it for the first time.  nice and stable machine though. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices