Skip to content

Discuss This Rider deaths fall - again General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Rider deaths fall - again

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Rider deaths fall - again

Motorcycle fatalities fell by 10% last year despite an increase in use, according to government figures. It’s the second major drop in two years, after rider deaths fell 15% in 2010.There were 362 motorcyclists killed in road accidents in 2011 compared to 403 the year before. Meanwhile motorcycle traffic rose 0.9% in the same period. Motorcyclists are doing better at...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 June 2012 09:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

ABS.

Hmmm... but what proportion of bikes on the road have ABS?

How many times have you activated it?

Reply to this Topic
MattMorris

Sep 09

MattMorris says:

Weather

Zephyrdave is probably correct. I barely got out on my bike at all last year and the main reason was the shitty weather. What is disturbing is the rise in serious injuries to bikers. Does this mean we're doing more to protect ourselves from dying and just getting badly hurt instead or have the car drivers just stopped giving a fuck altogether? As the other commentators have said the stats out of context are impossible to interpret. How many of the increased injuries were collisions with other vehicles and how may were weekend Rossi's losing it on a tight bend?

Reply to this Topic
F0ulOli

Jun 12

F0ulOli says:

Stats tell what they want to

There are more scooters around my town than I've seen in years, and each one is a motorbike when they crash! That possibly explains the increase in injuries. As for the lowering of deaths, I would guess the lack of money to spend on 100 mile blasts every weekend has prevented a few! However what these figures never, ever take into consideration is road vehicle inflation. With more vehicles on the road every year, you would expect that even if proportions of crashes stayed the same, the actual numbers of crashes would naturally go up. With the proportion going down, but comparing the figures year on year without taking the inflation into consideration is doing everyone a disservice.

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

simple

we arnt dying as much because we have better gear than ever there alot more groups offering rider imporvment courses ect and there alot less hobbiest bikers who only ride once in a blue moon at silly speeds because fuel prices have gone up and money is tight so in my opinion witch is probably wrong but i dont care alot of the bikers on the roads now are more exprienced and disaplind

and as has already been said all these new fangled gizmos are probably doing a bit to help to

Reply to this Topic
Old geezer

Jun 03

Old geezer says:

Rising motoring costs

I'd like to think the reduction in deaths is due to better bikes/kit/riding skills improving......But in the main I think it's simply because people can't afford to burn off £70 of petrol a time!

Hence we have fewer cars/vehicles on our roads......I'm back to all-year/all-weather biking again purely and simply to save on parking (£70 a month) & £30 a week in petrol.....And I love it!

Reply to this Topic
robinbegley

Aug 02

robinbegley says:

Safer Bikers

I suspect that the reduction in motorcycle deaths has a lot to do with there being less born-again bikers on machines they can't handle, largely due to there being less spare money around these days to spend on weekend toys. Combine this with a lot more new and returning bikers using two wheels more regularly for cost and practical reasons and you have a noticeable rise in the average experience level. I say this from experience as I took my test at 30 and went straight onto a TDM850 from a 125 learner bike. I only realised about 4 years later just how incompetent I was at first and I should have taken an easier step up. I am now 48 and ride 20k a year. I don't have scary moments any more (touch wood) as I know my bike and I can see hazards coming that I would have breezed past innocently unaware in my early days. My advice to anyone starting out now is go for it, but take it step by step, and get extra training all the way down the line especially when you think you know it all as this is when you are going to get caught out. Safe riding.

Reply to this Topic
polhouse

Sep 05

polhouse says:

Born again bikers?

robinbegley If born again bikers are to blame for accidents how come insurance premiums are much cheaper for the old gits compared to young riders?

Reply to this Topic
owensj

Dec 05

owensj says:

Recession

But push bike road deaths have increased significantly

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/27/cyclist-deaths-rise-recessions

Maybe all us bikers who can't afford the petrol have taken to their no petrol wheels?

In Wales where I live, it's twice as dangerous on the pavement than 2 wheels! But is there a campaign to ban walking? No! Or a campaign for walking hi viz?

http://www.roadsafetywales.org.uk/statistics/index.htm

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle