You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > sat nav

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

krazybiker

Jul 11

krazybiker says:

sat nav

hi fellow bikers i need some advise.I want a sat nav but dont want to buy a proper bike one as there quite pricey.I was wondering if any one knows if i can get a sat nav with a headphone socket built into it so i can just use my ear bud headphones to listen to the directions.It seems all the most recent sat nav,s no longer have the 3.5mm jack socket.If you can help that would be great.Make and model number would also be handy.cheers all

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 June 2012 21:23)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
samfan

Nov 11

samfan says:

sat nav

Hi krazybiker I use a Peaklife gps this is an exellant bit of bit of kit and cost about £90 its dual purpose so can be used in car or on a bike with the supplied fixings its also waterproof and shock proof It is blue tooth wire free so has no audio connection socket I havent bothered with the bluetooth on mine as the screen is so clear and easy to read its unecessary.I have never been able to hear instructions thru any kind of headset because of wind noise.It also comes loaded with Uk and all Europe.If you are interested they are on E bay and direct from China

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I use

a cheap Chinese Bluetooth headset (Netphone DK118-1000m, fraction of the price of big brands) perfectly audible through 30db earplugs up to 3 figure speeds (though Google's directions come a bit slow for that).  Wirelessly ooked up to a cheap second hand Android phone I can have music interrupted by directions for a couple of hours, even without putting the phone on a charger. The phone is a Motorola Defy, water and dust proofed, so I can mount it on an x-grip without any protection, but most of the time I leave it in my pocket.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Sat Nav

Do you have a smartphone - if so why not use that?  You can buy bike mounts for most smartphones these days and use either your earphones or a bluetooth set to connect to your helmet. 

Reply to this Topic
Sameasy

May 12

Sameasy says:

Satnav with Earphone Socket

Hi Krazybiker

I provide the service of installing earphone sockets in car satnavs. I too had the same problem of not wanted to spend hundreds of £s on a bike satnav when a Car satnav can do the job, just need a socket though. You can buy a cheap satnav and get a socket sorted for about £100, Good value for money!! please view my ebay page:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stick-a-headphone-socket-in-your-car-Sat-Nav-and-hear-it-on-your-motorbike-/110896931006?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item19d1f8e0be#ht_748wt_1059

Reply to this Topic
gazscar

Aug 09

gazscar says:

sat nav

currys have a binatone r430 wide screen modle that does britian and island @£50 or r430weu which has western euope on @ £59 both have ear plug jack on them

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Save up...

...for a dedicated bike one if you're going to do serious mileage with it. I've tried a car sat nav, several mobile phone versions and all work ok but you soon get frustrated by sun causing screen-glare (especially if wrapped up in a 'waterproof' case), fiddly wearing gloves and general robustness.

Bike sat-navs are intended to take the abuse a bike will give them, have anti-glare screens which work well with gloves and often have bike-dedicated options including 'twisty route' for having some fun.

I've done a lot of miles this year and was constantly frustrated when using my phone or car sat-nav. I'm not being brand-specific (because the Garmin option is supposed to be better if more expensive) but my Tom Tom Rider Europe ticks all the boxes and hasn't let me down yet (touch wood). I've never had an issue seeing the screen even in direct sunlight, which was the biggest bug-bear when using a sat-nav case.

EDIT - If you have a big twin or vibey bike then bike sat-navs are built to deal with this. Car sat-navs may not take vibrations time and time again.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cougar125

May 13

cougar125 says:

sat nav

hi i use a Binatone R350 Sat Nav that has a headphone socket in there about £55 and very good

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices