Skip to content

Discuss This Assen MotoGP: Stoner eases to victory MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Assen MotoGP: Stoner eases to victory

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Assen MotoGP: Stoner eases to victory

Repsol Honda rider Casey Stoner has taken his first victory since announcing his retirement ahead of team-mate Dani Pedrosa. It's the first Honda victory at Assen since Nicky Hayden in 2006. Stoner now leads the championship along with Jorge Lorenzo. Lorenzo failed to finish the race after he was taken out by Alvaro Bautista at the first corner as the Gresini...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 June 2012 14:13)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Squidgy?

Soft sidewalls build more heat, faster. Simples! Stoner correct again. Anyone got the soup on Cals colourful words for Alvaro?

Interesting confirmations from the Aussie telecast last night! Poncheral confirmed with Parrish that Smith won't be moving up and will have to sue him if he wants to push it further (sense at last!). Secondly, only 2 Ducatis next year, no Pramac, no CardionAB. Although, I see one of those bikes utilised for Hayden, should that pussy Florence stay and Crutchlow makes the stupidest move of his life. Spies bike and the Tech3 story could be one of the more interesting stories!

Acanada, you started out as a semi serious poster, what happened?

Reply to this Topic
bluAero

May 12

bluAero says:

aquarius

Dude, I think you're trying too hard. Relax a little bit. Take some deep breathes. The name of the game is relaxation and concentration.

Now let's talk about flakes, zombie morons, and genius's. These descriptions seem to be favorites of yours as again indicated above. This time the "genius" you were refering to was not talking about the Rossi/Stoner incident at Jerez. Nobody would deny that happened. He was asking about an obscure reference to a Rossi incident at Le Mans.

If you are going to write in a pretentious fashion with name calling, at least find out who the real flakes, zombie morons and genius's are.

Breath deep, exhale, repeat.  

Reply to this Topic
OxonJohn

Jun 09

OxonJohn says:

More drivel

I very rarely contribute anything to this forum these days, primarily because most of the content seems to be posted by wind-up merchants, haters, keyboard commandos, illiterates and juveniles. There only has to be the slightest mention of the words “Rossi” or “Stoner” and the verbal battles commence. For the record, I'm a Rossi fan. I'm also a Lorenzo, Bradl, Crutchlow, Dovi, Edwards, Hayden, Redding, Luthi, Smith, Kent, Vinales, Guintoli, Haslam, Rea, Sykes, Laverty (all 3), Haga and lots and lots of others fan. I don't like Casey Stoner, but I am in awe of the way he can ride a bike. Lets try and remember that these people ride motorcycles for a living. That's all. They don't do anything to hurt us, so do they deserve to be “hated”? I mean, to all you Stoner “haters” out there. What exactly has he done to you? To quote James Toseland, has he killed your Nan? Is he a child molester? Even worse than that, is he a banker? No. He gets paid monstrous amounts of money to race a motorbike. Similarly with Rossi. What has he done other than win 9 World Championships and help bring bike racing to our TV screens most weekends? If you really believe we'd have the level of coverage on the TV that we get now had he not been around, I think you'll find that few who are really in the know will agree with you. Rossi is box office, a showman, and Dorna know it, and are trying to plan for the day he hangs up his leathers. I believe that Marco was part of that plan, but now there is no natural successor to #46. It is 100% right that no one rider is bigger than the sport, but if that one rider's retirement sees a huge drop in TV audiences across the world, get prepared for less bike sport on the box. Instead of getting all menstrual over whether Stoner is better than Rossi or vice versa, as bike sport fans, we should be far more concerned about the power that the whole Repsol – Honda tie-up has in the Moto GP paddock, and the huge benefits that a rider gets from that tie-up if he happens to have been born in Spain. Nowadays its quite a rarity to hear anything other than the Marcha Real played at rostrum time, and unlike the American dominance of a few years back, this trend seems a lot less stoppable.

Reply to this Topic
mike2265

Apr 11

mike2265 says:

John

I see a few contradictions in your post.  If you think there needs to be 'successors' planned for then isn't that rider bigger than the sport, if by bigger than the sport you mean that there needs to be some 'king rider' - a 'showman media darling rider'.  This means other aspects of a rider other than their riding end up overriding the sport itself. 

Not sure about elsewhere but there has been no change in bike races being broadcast in Australia due to Rossi or due to Stoner or Doohan for that matter (casting my mind back now - though after 3 WC Doohan did start getting mentioned on the news - as does Stoner sometimes when he wins).  Rossi may have drawn in more fans to the sport world wide but that's a two edged sword - as mentioned earlier, the money that can be made from a rider driving the sport rather than making sure we have the best riders on the best machines.  This brings up another contradiction.  You can't lament the loss of Rossi and his drawcard status and then lament the dominance of the spaniards - especially when you tie it in with their Repsol/Honda drawcard status. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

The fox went out on a chilly night...

So John, you're no different to rest of the Florence sympathisers on this site then! You like everyone including the fkn waterboy but you don't like Stoner? God help us should you give us your hard thought justifiable reason for that you fkn plonker but don't worry, I think we all know that reason already. As for Marcha Real, where the fk have you been mate? You're probably humming Advance Australia Fair without even realising it! Hahaha...

Reply to this Topic
OxonJohn

Jun 09

OxonJohn says:

Bob

You are a fine example of the group I referred to. Wind-up merchants, haters, keyboard commandos, illiterates and juveniles. Unlike Mike2265, you're incapable of having a reasoned discussion about a topic without resorting to personal insults and profanity. Your post is irrelevant and I've forgotten it already.

Reply to this Topic
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

It was a fair question, John

wrapped up in a wind-up. I would like to know the answer.

What is it that you like about Cal and not about Casey?

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

He's from Far West Italy!

Tetsu, John is your average Italian wanna be trying to justify his outlay on yellow cock socks. I won't mention his nationality but I reckon you'd guess it pretty quick.

Reply to this Topic
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

Sorry, Bob

My conscience won't allow me to admit that was fucking hilarious.

Reply to this Topic
OxonJohn

Jun 09

OxonJohn says:

Oh dear

OK, let's get something clear. If somebody wants to have an intelligent discussion with me about my views, I'll have the discussion all day long. If all they can do is fire off obscenities and insult me, they're not deserving of my attention, and won't get it. Bob read through my post and all that registered in his mind was that I don't like Casey, so off he went, spouting the same old, same old anti-Rossi mantra, insulting me along the way to make him feel even bigger, proving my point. Bob can knock himself out posting comments that will get him cheap laughs at my expense. Am I bovvered? No. Bob, you can say what you like mate. Fill your boots. Every year I allow myself to tell two people to go f*ck themselves, but I'm not going to waste one on you. Why do I dislike Casey? Could be entirely unreasonable, but like many, I've seen and heard his complaining about anything and everything. It just seems to me that when you're paid boat-loads of money to do something that you happen to be exceptional at, a little more thinking how lucky you are is appropriate. I mean, he's retiring at the end of the year, in his 20's, and he won't ever have to do a day's work in his life ever again if he chooses. Cal, on the other hand, seems to be honest, is grasping the opportunity he's earned, and just gets on with it. I'll repeat that I'm in awe of Casey's riding skill. I don't like the bloke, but I won't slag him or his fans off. To answer Mike's points, I see where you're coming from, but I wasn't suggesting the only solution is a “new” Rossi. The sport will need to find a way to compensate for Rossi's retirement. Dorna knows it and has to be planning for it. Rossi was and still is a very unique individual, and Dorna can't manufacture a replacement. Yes, I believe Marco could have been part of the solution, perhaps by becoming some kind of loveable rogue, but sadly that won't happen now. As far as Honda/Repsol is concerned, it just seems to me that the tie-up is tipping the balance too much in one country's favour. OK, Repsol is a Spanish company, so it's not a surprise, and I suppose I don't blame them, but is it a good thing to have one country so completely dominant in all three classes?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices