Skip to content

Discuss This Assen MotoGP: Valentino Rossi 13th after rear tyre disaster MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Assen MotoGP: Valentino Rossi 13th after rear tyre disaster

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Assen MotoGP: Valentino Rossi 13th after rear tyre disaster

Valentino Rossi went from challenging for his best dry weather result of 2012 to finishing in a disastrous 13th after he suffered a major rear tyre failure in Assen. Rossi was locked in a battle for fifth position with Nicky Hayden and Hector Barbera when his factory Ducati GP12 developed an early vibration from his hard compound Bridgestone rear tyre. The problem...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 July 2012 08:18)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

Ben and Rossi burned them up

"Assen a real issue no doubt quality control and needs fixing. Silver stone was all rider error, they got used to tyres never going off and in their search for an explanation, other than themselves"

And Rossi fans search for any explanation other than Rossi.

If you think it was just random luck, here's something to consider.

Ben went out the fastest of all the Yamahas, his tyres went off and was caught by another Yamaha.  He pushed again and the rear disintegrated, allowing the slower-starting Yamaha past.

Rossi went out the fastest of all the Ducatis, his tyres went off and was caught by the other Ducatis.  He pushed again and the rear disintegrated, allowing the slower-starting Ducatis past.

These tyres are designed to punish hard-starters, it's just that this compound failed much more severely than they were designed to.

The Hondas were on different compounds to the Ducati and Yamahas (at least the rear) and it looks like that was the lucky choice for the race (not that they had a practical choice).

Welcome to EntertainmentGP.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

mike

errrrr ummmm, a couple of things. 

What is wrong with not having chicken strips. Surely not having chicken strips is one indicator of the riders ability. It seems a little strange to me that you are bagging people who bag people that don't have chicken strips. 

Second. I don't know what you ride but the bikes I ride take a great deal from racing. To be honest with you sport bikes are far more relevant to race bikes than any other form of motorsport with extremely short lead times to production bikes. I include motogp prototype and production series a la WSBK. 

My point about the BS tyres is that it plainly doesn't fill me with confidence seeing those tyres. If that is the best BS can produce knowing that they are under the spotlight what sort of shit are they producing and getting away with for consumers. What worries me is the mentality of BS production and their quality control. Also a quick note again about relevance of racing to road and track. note that the the same compound used in tyres used in WSBK are available for me and you to buy. 

I feel a little sorry for you cause you seem to be worried people are going to give you a hard time cause of your chicken strips. Or do you ride a tourer and don't get over much.  Personally I wouldn't dream of hassling someone cause of their tyres. Sure I always have a quick look, its just habit, to see what level of riding people are up to, and you never know they may be good to go for a ride with.

Personally the more people that ride bikes the happier I am. Don't really care if people aren't riding sports bikes like me. I seem to be able to have a common bond with most people on two wheels no matter what age, or type of bike. 

Just enjoy your riding don't let others detract from your fun.

Stay Nice.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Dovi on Assen rubber

"Nobody will use the soft rear tire in the race, it would be a mistake," 

Might have been worth 12 seconds though Dovi.

Read more: http://www.gpone.com/index.php/en/201207017443/Assen-the-Good-Bad-Ugly.html#ixzz1zYO1Y29m

Reply to this Topic
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

@parris

"If that is the best BS can produce"

It's not.  They're deliberately making sub-optimal tyres to prevent racers from being able to check out on lap one.  It's all for the entertainment.

Last year's tyres were rock-solid.  There was a problem at the start of the year with getting enough heat into the fronts with a series of unusually low track temperatures causing low-sides and broken collarbones. 

Bridgestone introduced a new softer front for safety, but by the time it was available, there wasn't the problem with track temperatures so they went largely unused.

This year's tyres are less robust than last year, despite having to contend with more horsepower.  Apparently they're still treading (ahem) the fine line between graceful degradation and complete disintegration.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

Tets

Yeah I get the front tyre business. 

Seems to me that the probs everyone was banging on about with the news fronts have turned out to be a non event. I have said from day one that Honda would fix the setup of the bike to sort the new fronts. Still think the same today. 

The disintegration of the rears is a quality control issue. Same old rear tyres just with huge degradation (I dislike using this word cause it doesn't really convey the complete failure of the tyre). Inexcusable. 

I agree with you there appears to be some deterioration with the tyres performance in general. Its weird that tyres in years past have been fine, fast and lasting race distance without degredation. This is to say that tyre performance appears to have decreased. 

I really want to know what the go is. 

1. Is it the extra power/speed of bikes. Or 

2. Have BS tried to be clever and or have they been ordered by the powers that be and produce a slower tyre that degrades to enhance the racing. 

3. Have they just let the standards drop and its been a big fuck up.

Reply to this Topic
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

Seems to me that the probs everyone was banging on about with the news fronts have turned out to be a non event.

They're mostly hurting Honda, so there's not too much whinging ;-)  Check out the video of the discussion behind the podium between Dovi, Dani, and Casey and the animated demonstrations of front-tyre folding and chattering.  It's certainly not sorted.

1. Is it the extra power/speed of bikes. Or 

2. Have BS tried to be clever and or have they been ordered by the powers that be and produce a slower tyre that degrades to enhance the racing. 

A combination of this, I think.  I reckon it would be harder to design tyres that gradually degrade yet maintain usability than it would to build them bulletproof like last year.

And I hope Indianapolis is nicely worn in by the time they get there in or that could be a complete shred-fest.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

Ahhh Indi tetsu

Why do they go to indi? What is the attraction? I am normally pretty positive about most things. I like most manufacturers and riders and enjoy most tracks except indi. What am I missing? Perhaps there is another reason behind the tyre problems. The ols honda/Rossi/BS/xenu/ducati/Sea Org/motgp/WSBK/run Katey run conspiracy.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Bultocomeoutwith, can you show me where I said casey wasn't trying??? As its completely new to me. If you'd more than one cell you'd notice two things at assen, casey stayed behind dani in the early laps and could go faster and neither Honda was having to run the pace Jorge was showing all weekend. At silver stone casey tried to leave them both for dead. I wouldn't mind but you talk like its everyone else that's stupid..

Reply to this Topic
mike2265

Apr 11

mike2265 says:

parris

You read an aweful lot into my one line on chicken strips (that someone else had made a comment about and I was basically saying who cares if you do or don't have them).  I've never been bagged about having them or not - or for that matter how much I have or haven't worn away hero pegs etc, but I do see people wandering around making a point of checking them out on peoples bikes and been judgemental about it which I see as a wank.  It's a loose indication of ability perhaps but very loose once the wear is getting towards the edge due to the factors I mentioned - each tyre has a different compound and profile which also seems to change again depending on individual rim.

Similarly I probably shouldn't read too much into your comment about riding a tourer but in my experience they don't get over any less than sports bikers and often more because they're more suited to the open road and dodgy surfaces, you can ride them for much longer distances comfortably and so you can improve quicker (sports bike riders curiously often want to swap bikes at the end of a big day) and sports bikes often suffer from the starry eyed new rider syndrome (a little like harleys do - in that people have an image of what bike they want before they start riding, get the sports bike and realise that it's not really right for what they want - great for a quick blat on good surfaces without carrying any gear - and so there's often less experienced riders on them).  Ultimately the speed a rider travels at is largely independent of the type of bike (except for in a straight line and on steep hills).

Once again on the racing BS's, there's no correlation between them and the enormous variety of what you can buy in the shop.  I've bought heaps of them and had no problems.  The manufacturing processes and plants, testing, quality control used for motogp and the general models would be entirely different.  Edit:  and perhaps more than anything - entirely different design brief/methodology.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

Magic mike

Ok ok you like BS, ok they are the best, no correlation to racing. You say there is no correlation to racing, then there isn't. Ok matey, your tourer is every bit as good if not better than a sports bike in every way you can imagine(see what I did there). You have picked the perfect bike you clever clever boy. 

Tourers are simply the best and you are the one to have convinced me of that. According to you tourers are faster than sports bike. 

Seriously I haven't read such drivel, something more boringly biased and unsupported than your last post here. All there is is you saying that tourers are good and BS are good because you say they are because you use them(insert bias inflection here). 

You come across in both posts as a sad and bitter person who has been teased by sports bike guys about your chicken strips and also your choice of bike. Or worse you have no excuse except that maybe you are just a know all that can't accept that tourers are great for touring while sports bikes are the fastest of all straight line and in circles. 

You say "Ultimately the speed a rider travels at is largely independent of the type of bike (except for in a straight line and on steep hills).".Next you will be telling me that tourers are better than pit bikes for competition. Now I know you are one of those guys who continually cruise oblivious to the bikes swarming up behind you. You ride along carrying everything including the kitchen sink along with you. 

You can't just except that your choice of bike is a tourer, slower and less responsive in handling than a sports bike. I imagine tourers are more comfy though, right, thats cool. 

I have the utmost respect for most all riders and their choices of rides. You do not. I am glad you love your tourer but love it for what it is. I know heaps of guys that ride tourers and they like everyone else loves the shit out of their bike but they all know that their bike is good for touring and that it is not as fast as a one litre sports bike. Most guys I know buy a sports tourer cause they can't handle the riding position on a sports bike, it hurts the wrists/arms. So for them its a compromise down to what they can usefully enjoy. We all joke about having to get older and go to a tourer at some point then joke about going to a cruiser or death.lol 

I love people riding scooters, good on them, when I am in the city next to one and see the rider all relaxed and doing it easy I think man that's a good choice of bike for hopping round the city. You say I read too much into your chicken strip comment previously. I think you last post being so defensive shows I was bang on the money about you. 

Sorry to have said all this but one of the things I like about riding is this craze cool bond I seem to have with almost all riders regardless of the type of bike. When I am at like the most boring event somewhere I can always find a fellow rider to talk to, its the best. 

The thing I like least are big dick riders who are exclusive of others or elitist thinking they and their bike, their group is superior to all others.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices