Skip to content

Ask an Expert Kawasaki ZX12R misfire Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Kawasaki ZX12R misfire

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

HarrisBikeNut

Jul 12

Kawasaki ZX12R misfire

Cab anyone advise? Have a 2002 ZX12R which suffers from a "misfire" occassionally. Manifests iteself as a sudden momentary decrease / increase in power as if a plug cuts out then comes back in. Does not sound like fuel starvation - ie spluttering etc. It is very "on/off"
Changed plugs - no difference. I am thinking electrical. Stickcoil? Injector?

Can anyone offer any advice or suffered the same issue?

Regards
Bob

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 July 2012 09:24)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

power surges?

Welcome Bob,as you know with F.I. they have sensors everywhere,it could be a fautly one reducing the mixture or retarding the ignition timing. If it was one cylinder coming in and out you would get a definite kick.All i can suggest is checking for unwanted air going into the cyls and all the sensor connections and the e.c.u. with the battery disconnected.

kcmc on here will have more idea.  

Reply to this Topic
HarrisBikeNut

Jul 12

ZX12R Misfire

Thaks jaffa. Will do. It's a bit of a nightmare in corners if you suddenly get more power when you don't want it

Regards
Bob

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

power

If your suddenly getting more power you may have a cooler downpipe just before a cyl kicks back in.

Power surges to me is slowly accelerating or deccelerating just for a split second:blink:.

Are you sure it doesn`t happen at  certain r.p.m.?

Reply to this Topic
HarrisBikeNut

Jul 12

ZX12R misfire

Hi again, I notice it at low revs, round town etc. Giving it the berries yesterday forces concentration elsewhere! I can only describe it as like switching something on and off as that is how it appears. There is no gradual process; one second the bike is fine then you notice a lack of pwoer for a few seconds perhaps and then it suddenly the power comes back. To me it sems the problem is related to one cylinder as the drop in preformance isn't major. Starts fine, "hunts" a bit on tickover ( injectors need balancing?) but because of the nature of the fault it seems electrical to me or possibly an injector issue.

Regards again
Bob

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

power

As i say more info the better and kcmc will have more idea.

The spark plugs will tell a tale with their colour,if all the same then it could be fuelling.

Where`s P.D.J. from I.O.M. are you retired?

Reply to this Topic
GNZT

Oct 12

GNZT says:

?

Was this ever resolved I have very similar issue with a 12R B1, hunting idle, low rpm hesitant below 2500RPM then bursts into life, back firing a little off throttle from higher revs then stammering a bit and clearing, plugs clean, good fuel but same result.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices