Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

yamadad

May 11

yamadad says:

bike upgrade

Hi all

Been riding a Yamaha xj6 diversion for a a couple of years now and have got fairly comfortable with it. When I bought it new from the dealer I was advised to start on something like this and work up to something bigger.

When I was first getting used to the bike it felt like a rocket pulling away from standing and out of roundabouts etc.

What I find though is that to get any kind of "real" performance out of the bike I really have to keep it above 7000rpm and when going for overtakes or worse with a pillion I really have to work the gearbox and find it quite  frustrating.

I would like to upgrade at some point but what to?

I like the riding position of the bike but want more performance. I am looking at lots of different bikes but how do you decide.

Fz1, Z1000sx, Triumph Sprint ST, These are the sorts of bikes that appeal to me . Does stepping up to this size of bike present any potential problems. or is it just a new learning process. Do these bikes still need as much effort to ride or can you just sit back and enjoy youself.  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 July 2012 11:19)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

fazer thou

go for a fazer 1000 you wont be disappointed the early ones where the best 

problem you can have is doing over the speed limit and not noticing.  Also the brakes on these bikes are alot sharper than a div.  take test rides on them to see what one suits you 

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Your choice so only you can really decide

As the old adage goes there no substitute for capacity. A bigger engine will give you substantially more midrange and torque and allow for more easy overtaking.

Work out what larger capacity bikes you like the look and reviews of which are within you price bracket and make a decission from them. The 1000 fazer will be close(ish) to what you've got but you could also try other options should you want. If you can get test rides then all the better.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

you're describing torque

for lazy "power". For torque you need CCs. Things like SV1000s and ThunderAces's are prob worth a look at too.

Reply to this Topic
jbennison

May 04

jbennison says:

SV1000

Give the sv1000s a thought. You can pick them up for silly money and will put a massive grin on your face. I went from a 600 bandit to a sv1000s and loved it. Yes it had a lot more power which had the effect of creeping you above the limits sometimes. Very usable power though and economical. I used mine in all weathers (2" of snow sometimes) on my 100 mile a day commute and it was fab. Steady use returned around 55mpg too. Comfy and loud when required. Only got rid as I started working from home and needed some quick cash.

Try one and see what you think.

jb

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices