Skip to content

Ask an Expert uh oh - what's this? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > uh oh - what's this?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

scg1889

Dec 08

scg1889 says:

uh oh - what's this?

hi folks.

I've got an 08 Blade, not cleaned the bike for a few weeks (slack i know) but when i took the rear mud guard off yesterday saw this underneath the damper unit (attachment 1)

what does it look like, will it be a leak from the shock? it's taken some of the paint in that area too (attachment 2)

Any help n advice gladly received.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. IMG_1575  
  2. IMG_1576  
Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 July 2012 12:02)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

Just looks like a bit of metal fatigue to me although i am no expert. If it was a leak from the rear shock u would notice it on the floor where the bike is parked and also the rear suspension would feel very bouncy, especially two up.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

deposit

Dunno,it`s white :unsure:is it gas deposit :unsure:and i don`t mean banks.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda Fireblade 2008

Hi Scg1889

Looks like the expansion tank(header tank)cap could be loose allowing coolant to spill onto the shock and swing arm.Could even be the header tank breather pipe is kinked or blocked some how so when the radiator cap pressure demands more coolant the pressure has no were to go but out of the rubber header tank cap onto the shock and swing arm. Could get dangerous as coolant is very slippery,so you don't want it on the rear tyre.

Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
scg1889

Dec 08

scg1889 says:

thanks

thanks for your thoughts guys. i've let it run on the drive and nothing furthers been deposited. Coolant could be a good call kcmc, given the shape of the mud guard it could have funnelled it down to below the damper where its deposited if its spraying out somewhere. when the answer materialises, will share :smile

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Just to be clear

You definitely haven't been wanking over the bike?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Phil

you bad boy :lol: tut tut

Reply to this Topic
SpeedT03

May 12

SpeedT03 says:

Fuel overflow

Thats what i reckon. i over filled my bike the other week. It pissed out and it left a white powdery looking stain on the frame and swingarm, so check the routing of your overflow pipe. 

Was nearly in tears watching fuel brought at rip off motorway services pissing out :upset:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices