Skip to content

Discuss This Parking charge threat General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Parking charge threat

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Parking charge threat

Another council looks likely to scrap free roadside motorcycle parking after London’s Westminster took the step. A parking policy review has recommended the introduction of charges to park in motorcycle bays in Camden, North London. The document says other boroughs including Hackney and Islington are interested in doing the same. Campaign group No to Bike Parking Tax warned roadside motorcycle parking...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 July 2012 11:00)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

Bollocks

Camden’s review says the council needs to ‘restrain demand’ for motorcycles because of their contribution to pollution... we are part of the solution to the problem and contribute far less to pollution than many other modes of transport, we also pay higher VED than many cars, which spew out higher emissions when sitting in stationary traffic, whereas MCs can filter through.  This is typical of the woolly minded thinking of your average fair trade communists who have managed to infect our council offices.  Ask yourself exactly how much pollution is caused by a motorbike when it is parked???

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

More stupidity

If everyone that rides a bike into London stopped for a couple of months, i.e. stopped paying the parking surely they would have to scrap the idea.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

I've no particular problem with being charged for parking, just so long as I'm charged a proportionate fraction of the charge for cars. I see no reason to assume I have a right to free parking just because I'm on two wheels. However that's not to say I don't try to find places where I can park for freee. Much easier on a bike than in a car. @Tris123 I fail to understand your argument. What alternative do you suggest people who ride to work use? A car? Public transport? Either would be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Reply to this Topic
sallison30

Mar 08

sallison30 says:

Money grabbing Bastards

What most people fail to realise is that authorities will always take your money away from you and they will always find new ways to do so. Tax in Britain is in excess of 80% when you take into account VAT, fuel duty VED etc. the government doesn't like bikers because in the main they are free thinkers. They want car driving, non thinking robots, they're easier to oppress.

Reply to this Topic
cetdac

Mar 10

cetdac says:

Do as the French

Just get all bikers to go to West Minster and buy a full car parking space ticket and fill the car parks up. 

In answer to Camerons idea of we add to polution DONT filter - take your time.

Just pick a day a week and EVERYONE get there as early as you can and take up the car parking spaces!

Worked in France - why are we so shiftless?

If we all did this Cameron and his money grabbing cronies would brick themselves!

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

Where

the fuck are the manufacturers in all this?!. Why the Hell aren't they kicking up a storm over another attack on their customers? Once again it's going to be left to riders and action groups to fight this while the manufacturers sit on their arses and do diddly squat.

Reply to this Topic
jahtlR

Jun 12

jahtlR says:

They will try anything to take money off the working man to give to those who cant be arsed!

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

I think the council are saying we could copy Westminster and charge motorcyclists for parking and make some money here. We'll use the excuse that motocycles are contributing to pollution.

In my last few years of commuting into London, most motorcycle bays were taken up by scooters and completely full by 8am. This clearly indicates there is a need for more motorcycle bays or motorcycle parking areas in London and not a need to restrict demand.

London's congestion is getting worse. Surely getting people out of cars and onto bikes is a solution and the introduction of more free motorcycle parking would be a step in the right direction but of course it's all about making money and not thinking about congestion and pollution. If it were, the Government and councils would have banned all private cars over the 1.6 £0 road tax bracket from central London. Strange they haven't and even stranger that the number of large capacity 4x4's on the road seems to be increasing despite the £475 annual road tax.

It's all about the money!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

For those about to say "They should..."

The campaigners have tried ride-like-a-car, snarling up Trafalgar Square, defacing signs (allegedly) and (admittedly badly handled) legal cases in the High Court and Court of Appeals, which resulted in an Appeals Court judge saying - I shit you not - "While it might not be strictly legal for WCC to charge motorcycles to park, they should be allowed to do so."

Meanwhile, WCC's promises to use the money to fund security have evaporated: they have put up plenty of cameras to catch people not paying - or not able to pay - the parking tax, but good luck getting any footage if your bike gets nicked or damaged in the sardine bays.

Their argument that it has any traffic management purpose is ridiculous, since it's a daily/monthly/annual charge that encourages you to use all of what you've paid for.  Their own figures show that demand for bike parking continues to exceed supply, so the charge demonstrable isn't putting people off.  Nor do they want it to, since they've just let bikes in their bus lanes: what they want is to continue to rake in cash from the direct tax and the fat penalty charges for the poor bastards that can't find a space.  Oh, and they've flogged off their off-street parking, so they have no control over that now.

The issue is currently on its way to Europe on some desparate "social exclusion" grounds which don't have a Rossi's chance in hell of succeding.

Meanwhile, the MCIA, MAG and the BMF all essentially said "not our problem" and are currently trying to quosh the last shreds of resistance so that those revolting bikers don't get us all a bad name.

But hey, it's only £1 a day, right?

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

stupid and unwaranted charges

next they will say we take up to much space on the roads motorcycles create less pollution in many cases than your average car ease congestion and do half the damage to roads that a car does unfortunatley the people incharge dont like anything they dont understand and they dont understand anything there only a few mps who suport biking the rest are either on the fence or think bikes and bikers shouldnt be on the roads the councils are so desprete to get some money in there pockets that they will try just about anything at this point i wouldnt be suprised if they started chargeing people pavement tax for walking down the street

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices