Skip to content

Discuss This Kawasaki ER six month appraisal First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Kawasaki ER six month appraisal

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Kawasaki ER six month appraisal

I’ve had the ER6n for over six months now and it’s just gone through its 4000 mile service with no issues. The only thing to note is I’d overfilled it with oil which seemed to have a slight affect on the MPG. Having said all that I’ve just managed 67.9mpg on my last 100 mile ride which is a personal best. It was...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 July 2012 10:17)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ER6

A mate has one. It's a fantastic little bike. Top speed is in excess of 125mph (at Snetterton occifer). It's light and very agile. A Beowulf can makes it sound much better.

The soft forks can be cured by putting different and more oil in. Have you jacked the preload up on the rear??

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Yeah they are good little bikes...

I had an ER6F for about 18 months and it was very good. Slim, light, easy to ride, fast enough with a nice sound from the engine. Only major things I would say against it was the speed it ate chains, the small petrol tank (doesn't bother you unless you are a long distance commuter) and the brakes which are very weak on all ER6. As eatcs01 says the rear suspension is too soft unless you turn the  preload up to the max. Iv'e also heard people say that the exhausts rust through within 2 years...

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

125 Miles Tank Range

...125 miles is normally what I get before the 'low fuel' warning pops up, this is normally when it's returning about 55mpg. However I am sure the actual range is in the region of 160-170 miles or so as it only takes about 10 litres to fill it to the brim and as it is supposed to have a 15 liter tank that means it still has 5 litres to play with. If I'm honest a bigger tank would be nice though. I have a 100 mile commute and cover about 1000 miles a month so less fuel stops would be helpful. Having said that if you're touring you find that after 100 miles the seat starts to feel a bit hard on your arse even when shifting around so a pit stop is quite welcome. There's no center stand, nor can you fit one so I've recently bought a paddock stand to make cleaning and oiling the chain easier. I'm hoping to get a few thousand more miles out of the chain yet, I'll update you on how I get on when I've had it a year. I admit that I haven't touched the suspension yet so will give it a try and see if it makes the rear a bit more stable. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

I got a 2007 ER6F with 5,000 miles on it. It's a bit more buzzy than the later models but fine at most rpm. I fitted Gold Valve Emulators and slightly softer springs in the front forks and a Hagon rear shock, braided brake hoses front and rear, flattened the seat foam, and extended the mirrors so it's now sorted. I'm still on the original chain and onto my second set of tyres - now BT023. I've done about 15,000 miles in 3 years and average just over 60mpg. It's a great all-rounder. No complaints at all now the suspension is "fixed".

Reply to this Topic
gsxwarby

May 10

gsxwarby says:

ER6

I had 2008 model could not get rid of it fast enough, it was all over the place. now ride GSX650F much nicer bike for same money.

Reply to this Topic
G0rdyR

Jul 12

G0rdyR says:

ER6n – What’s not to like!

I bought a new ER6n in Sept 2009 and it still ticks all the boxes. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, relatively light and endless fun. I’m sure Ryan Farquhar knows what he’s doing tricking these up for the lightweight TT, they’re affordable bikes with willing motors.

I’ve covered 15,000 miles up to now & always average in the high 50’s MPG.

My bike benefits from mirror extenders – otherwise you only see your elbows…,

Fender extender to keep the crud off the downpipes
Oxford 1st time soft panniers for commuting (the pannier rails were only £46 new)

Chain & sprockets were recently changed and the original Dunlop Roadsmart rear tyre is now a Roadsmart II which gives plenty of confidence in this continually wet weather.

I haven’t messed with the suspension yet, but there are options out these from Hagon, Nitron & even the entry Ohlins range do a shock.

As there is no centre stand I use an Abba Superbike stand which is ideal for maintenance & chain lubing and much easier (& safer) than using a paddock stand.

All in all a terrific bike. So much so that I’d consider the Versys tourer next time for the ABS & hard luggage, but to be honest I’m in no hurry to change.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

G0rdyR

My late 2011 model has done nearly £4500 miles now since January. The Acerbis handguards do a wicked job and I've got a paddock stand to lube the chain every time I give it a clean (which is a lot less than it really should be). I'll definitely consider mirror extenders because I find that half of what I see is my elbows, although I am thinking of some under bar clip ons. Fender extender and longer rear hugger are next on my list though. With the rain we've been having I'm finding the road salt is flying everywhere! Only using soft luggage at the moment but hard luggage is on the to-do list. Though I have been asked why I went for the ER6 over the Versys and the answer is two-fold. 1) The ER6 has a little more power and higher gearing so cruising at motorway speeds is a tad easier, 2) it's fookin' ugly! The worst fuel consumption I've got is 43mpg but that's giving it a 20 mile belting around twisty road plus covering a 100 miles in a 'little' over an hour on the motorway. Best is 68mpg on a motorway run averaging between 70-80mph. It's a good bike and I don't understand the bashing some people give it. I've ridden a Hornet and yeah it's a little quicker but it's also heavier and much less frugal. I've now ridden three different SV650s and hated every one of them. Compared to the ER6 it feels a bit ancient, no real difference in performance as far as I could tell and less mpg over the run and more awkward riding position.

Reply to this Topic
jonedwards

Apr 09

jonedwards says:

nice bikes

I have had my er6n from new since Sept 2010, my first bike after a ybr. Great power for the size. Renthal low sport's bars go great! Solo seat cowl, New rear sets and blanks for the passenger grab rails all make the bike look a lot better, also bar end mirrors rather than the bunny ears as standard. Skidmarx rear hugger, fender extender and radiator cover. Scorpion exhaust makes it sound Sssooooo much better, and Michelin pilot road 3 make it handle a lot better, I had to replace stock at 2800 miles because the rear squared off.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

jonedwards

I've got Michelin Pilots on mine too, much more confidence in the wet. Replace the stock Dunlops after only 600 miles because I had a rear puncture. Would like to see pics of your machine if you've got them.

Reply to this Topic
Mike299

Feb 12

Mike299 says:

ER6F

I've had the faired version for about 2 months now. I think it's great - enough power to keep me amused now I've got some experience on it, but a smooth and easy step up from a 125. Great engine, brakes and suspension not quite so good but it's not the most expensive bike. The riding position is ideal - comfortable and upright, but if you want to crank up the speed on the motorways you can tuck in behind the screen. Much more comfortable than the CB500 I did my test on (which I enjoyed riding, but it hurt my arse and ankles after a couple of hours) It's a real all rounder - I commute on it, take it for B road blasts at the weekend and have done a little mini tour on it as I've got a top box for it too. Love this bike. Only downside, as others have said, is the mirrors - the previous owner on mine (it's a 2010 model) put extenders on, but even extended they're much worse than the GN125 I had before.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices