Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: When will I have enough experience? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: When will I have enough experience?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCn  says:

You ask/You answer: When will I have enough experience?

I ride a Kawasaki ER-6 and passed my test six months ago. When do I know I have enough experience to handle my dream bike, the BMW S1000RR? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a question? Click here to submit it.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 July 2012 16:18)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kaivalagi

Jul 12

kaivalagi says:

Self Control The Biggest Factor?

I am 37 yrs and I've held my license for just under 2 years now. I rode a SV650 as a first bike for less than one year. I bought a KTM SMT after riding for almost 8 months in the end and don't think this was the wrong thing to do....but I am far more sensible than when I was younger. To me having a big bike is all about self control, if you can manage the risk associated with what you can do on a bigger bike then why can't it be an option? Does self control come with age though?...not all the time....just for most people I suspect.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Never!!!!!

I've been riding 39 years and still learn things as time goes by. Bikes are changing, roads are changing, technology is altering the way we ride and there are more people are on the roads. With so many things changing, its a case of constantly adapting, so you never stop learning. Be self-critical and always try to improve.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Not until you get one

You only get experience riding the bike you are riding.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

IAM...

go to an IAM advanced riding day and see what they tell you, being a good street rider is not the same as being a good track rider

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Not yet

You can't learn the finer points of controlling a motorbike on a superbike on the road. Stick with what you have for a year or two then step up. An ER-6 is perfect for learning how to properly handle a bike. Nimble and relatively quick steering, it's a good bike. When you're ready to move up, don't just jump up to a 200bhp monster. For most people 600's or 750's are actually faster anyway because they're not so scared of them. That said, the only way to learn to ride a superbike is to ride one. There's no way to get used to the power of them without being on one. My advice.. wait a couple or 3 years before you get one. Me? I went up and then down again. Too much power for me to enjoy. You can't hardly ever actually crack the throttle fully open. Also for me, it's not about straight line speed, it's about enjoying the corners and I guarantee you, the bike you're on now handles better than most superbikes.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Too Much?

I have a Honda CBR600F4i, and am thinking of going to something smaller – last time I rode a track day I had no use for the top 3 gears, and on the street I can get to the legal speed limit most places in 1st gear. There is a lot of truth in the saying, “it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow”. Unfortunately, here in the US we do not get anything smaller than a super-sport with the good stuff (e.g. fully adjustable suspension, high-end brakes, etc).

Reply to this Topic
Feakster

Mar 10

Feakster says:

Only you will know...

Your ER6 will be completely different in almost every conceivable way except for the fact that both have 2 wheels. It sounds cliché, but you never stop learning. I've been riding for 4.5 years. I'd say I'm competent, but not vastly experienced. It also sounds cliché, but only you will know when you're ready to change. I started on an '06 ZX-6R when I passed my test, then switched to a '56 RSVR 8-9 months later because I got bored of it. For me, I found I was chucking it around a lot more once I felt confident on it, but we all ride differently. I don't think many people keep their first bikes for anything more than about a year. Particularly the bikes touted as "good beginner" bikes... Things like hornets, CB600s and ER-6n/fs. They're easy to ride, and are fine for commuting, but there's not really anything to them.

Reply to this Topic
Feakster

Mar 10

Feakster says:

However...

However, I do agree with Tito... it would be very ill-advised to go straight to a 1000cc sports bike without the 600cc step in between. I know I'd be dead, and not just because of the extra power.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Wisdom comes with experience...... Experience comes with practice...... Pride comes before a fall.

Reply to this Topic
Brogsy

Nov 08

Brogsy says:

Well my friend you will find that when you mature a bit after riding your Kwacker that the insurance will still be sky high"unless your dad can pay?" So you'll probably be getting a cheaper bike anyway. Track day experience is a must so get doing that, then you'll know How experienced you are mate. Just commuting and an odd day out down the lane doesn't give you enough. Good luck mate. BTW my dream bike is Honda RCV12 but I'll never Ride one. Shiny side up!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices