Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: When will I have enough experience? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: When will I have enough experience?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCn  says:

You ask/You answer: When will I have enough experience?

I ride a Kawasaki ER-6 and passed my test six months ago. When do I know I have enough experience to handle my dream bike, the BMW S1000RR? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a question? Click here to submit it.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 July 2012 16:18)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
andyinvienna

Nov 05

andyinvienna says:

Stages

I am a firm believer in taking it in stages, I was riding with a group in the Austrian mountains and amongst that group was a similar rider to your experience, and he did a similar thing to you, he had a 500 cc for his test and soon after bought a ZX10-R, and on the wet roads he admitted he was having a really bad day, and that he was going to sell the bike because he was having no fun with it. It was too powerful and he was not able to get to grips with it. He gave up two thirds through the day and went home.
Piglet2010 has some good advice, try a sporty 600 first, they are great fun, learn to be smooth, get a couple of years experience on it then consider a move up, get some track days in and find someone who will help you to improve your riding, you never stop learning on a bike, and I should know after 36 years I am still not getting it as good as I feel I should, stay sunny side up

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

any cc bike you buy can be dangerous while you are getting used to it, the secret is to take it easy until you have mastered your machine, experience is only gained by the amount of riding you do, if you want this beemer then GET IT NOW but pace yourself until you know it and its quirks.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

mcn

I can see a pattern developing here. A Question is asked by ????? and next week we are quoted in the paper. Are these real people asking Real questions????

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

over 20 years time mate

28 years and still learning,but a 25 year old on a 1000rr bmw won`t last very long on the road,just to much power there to use..

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

How long is a piece of string?

If you have self control, it won't take long before you can safely ride a super-bike, as long as you don't try exploring it's limits, which will be far in excess of your own. As others have said, even with lots of experience the limit to how quick you can ride will be your talent and not the bike. Get some advanced training from IAM or RoSPA to help to accelerate your learning on the roads, do some track days to help to learn the limits of your current bike's ability (and your own), you'll soon see that there is a lot of potential in your ER-6 that you can unlock with experience, but it will also increase your proficiency and your ability to safely handle a litre super-bike if that is what you're set on doing. If you spend the money on plenty of training and experience you'll be on your ER-6 in the fast group on track days - if you spend the money only on the bike you'll be on a super-bike in the novices! Consider that the TT lap record is 131.6 mph on a 1000cc super-bike, and 127.8 mph on a 600cc super-sport, less than 4 mph different for the extra 400cc!

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

Just get it and take it easy for a while. My first bike was a gsxr 750 had it for 2 years with no drama, then got a sv 650 and within 3 months had a highside. Why did I crash the less powerful bike? I think I had more respect for the 750 and it handled better.

Reply to this Topic
nigelcollinson

Aug 11

An obvious remark..

Nobody ever has enough experience. You're always learning.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

good question

good question. depends how much riding you do. Ride daily and commute with you bike and you will get lots of great experience.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

good question

good question. depends how much riding you do. Ride daily and commute with you bike and you will get lots of great experience.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

good question

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices