Skip to content

Discuss This SMIDSY driver cleared over rider’s death General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > SMIDSY driver cleared over rider’s death

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

SMIDSY driver cleared over rider’s death

A motorist who pulled out on a motorcyclist has been cleared of causing the rider’s death by careless driving.  Driver Ian MacIntyre, 58, was found not guilty after a jury heard he simply didn’t see Ducati rider David Blackburn, 53, who was fatally injured. MacIntyre pulled across the A155 in Hagnaby, Lincolnshire, in his Jaguar XF sports car in April...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 July 2012 13:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
andysxv550

Oct 11

andysxv550 says:

what a joke

Firstly my sympathies to the family, not have they only lost a family member, they have now been let down appualingly by the system. Yes I dont have or know the full facts, but surely admitting that you couldnt see what was on the highway or coming towards you so you pulled out anyway has to careless driving? I got £275 fine £1000 in solicitors fees and 80 hours community service for grabbing hold of some ones arm, I couldnt see the justice in that, i certainly dont see the justice in this decision either.

Reply to this Topic
Jackspratt

Dec 04

Jackspratt says:

“You can't help thinking that there is an in-built public bias against motorcyclists.”

No!!! I've been riding for 40 years, knocked off 4 times, disel 3 times and I've never seen a bias, ever, honest!!!!! This is utterly deplorable it just passes the message that any idiot can kill another human being, who just happens to be on a bike, and it's ok. Be aware, be assertive, and use your horn - it is not "un-cool".

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Tragic

This was oviously a tragic event and I wonder how many bike riders where on the jury, did they go to the scene of the accident? I was always taught if you can't see properly stay put not pull across a road with no idea if there is anything coming, no doubt he would have seen a lorry.  There is a fine line between Sorry mate I didn't see you to sorry mate can't be arsed to look properly.

All drivers should be compelled to spend at least 3 months on a motorcycle, then they may learn to look properly

Reply to this Topic
CalGS

Apr 07

CalGS says:

Headlights and Bright Sunlight

When you obtain a driving licence (for a car, a motorcycle, a bicycle or whatever) there is a degree of responsibility to other road users; primarily not to injure or kill them. In this case (as seems far too common in the UK) there was no real punishment for ignoring this responsibility.

One thing that the Italians (it I remember correctly) a few years ago tried to ban was the use of daytime headlights. The reason for this being that if you have your headlight on and have bright sunlight from behind you, you will be completely invisible to anyone who looks directly at you. Lack of contrast and glare both (I suspect) contributing to this effect.
With the modern philosophy of manufacturers being to prevent riders from turning off their headlights we are likely to see more of this type of accident. If this was the cause in this case, then maybe the spotlight also needs to focus on the manufacturers

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

Familiar

Sounds very similar to the taxi driver who pulled into the main road into the path of my brother and killed him, she didn't even have to go to court!!!!

Last time I checked the highway code had something to the effect that you shouldn't pull out if you're going cause another vehicle to alter speed or direction.

Of course this happened when Brunstrom was in charge in north Wales and we all know how anti bike he was so it's no suprise a driver got off with killing someone then.

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

stormrider66

Jul 08

stormrider66 says:

Yet another driver has been let off for causing the death of a biker...Law in this country is an ass.

So who thinks European ruling forcing bikers to wear high viz vests would have prevented this death, no me neither.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices