You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Body type change :S

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Glen1990

Jul 12

Glen1990 says:

Body type change :S

Ive just got an Aprilia rs 50 2000 model and on the log book its a "moped" and its been destricted and im wanting to change it to a "light motorcycle" do i just change it as i would do with chaging the colour etc? im 21 and just trying to keep it legal as i can

Cheers Glen

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 July 2012 11:05)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

The Classification

Of a "light motorcycle" is one of 75-125cc with an output of no more than 11kW so unless you fit a big bore kit to it it's not going to change.

As you've de-restricted it and want to keep it legal you're going to need to inform your insurance company. There's a very high likelihood when you do so they'll no longer wish to insure you so be prepared for that! You don't say wether you're on "L" plates or have passed your test. I can't really give you any more specific info unless you say why you wish to ride a de-restricted moped rather than a larger capacity machine (I'm guessing finances may have a part to play?!). Try the website below for a little more info on bike categories...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/PracticalTest/DG_178483

To change your bike to a light M/C would likely to be impractical, i.e. the amount you would have to spend both financially & in time would more than cancel out any benefit you'd get from the modifications! You'd be better off just buying a bigger bike.

Happy Riding tho!:smile

Reply to this Topic
Glen1990

Jul 12

Glen1990 says:

:S

hmm thats weird ive seen 50cc light motorcycles on the log book before mine has a big bore kit on it tbh my insurance is only £100 more with it down as it being destricted my kit is 75cc.. i knew the bigger bike would come in there :P lol i thought it was any thing past 31mph is infact not a moped and a light motorcycle? never heard of the cc thats what i found on dvla site . 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices