You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > up jet

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JackJoshua

Jul 12

JackJoshua says:

up jet

i up jetted my 50cc nrg mc3 air cooled bike from a 60 to a 72 and it was running fine not bogging or backfiring but i was riding about with a mate for about 3 hours and then it just started to backfire and a major loss of power any ideas at all?:shock:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 July 2012 13:44)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

up jet

Welcome Jack,your spark plug will tell you a story.

Not sure about your carb but are you talking the main jet or the slow running jet?

If main jet why not set the needle a bit higher for more fuel.

If you give it more fuel what changes have you done to the air intake or exhaust?

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

jack

as jaffa said check your spark plug..............i do not doubt your bike is now running way to rich and has fouled the plug:wink:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Is it

2-stroke or 4-stroke?

What was the reason for the jet change (was it OK before the new jet?)?

(Bear in mind that many 50cc bikes will be restricted performance-wise by exhaust resonators and other methods).

Reply to this Topic
JackJoshua

Jul 12

JackJoshua says:

upjet

i had to upjet because it was popping and it kept bogging out on me and after i put a 72 in it was fine but i had a look yesterday and its sparking but wouldnt start, i think its overfueling how could i sort this, thanks for your response guys very helpful:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
JackJoshua

Jul 12

JackJoshua says:

up jet

how i do i set up  my main jet to the correct torque its a 6mm 72 or i have a 6mm 74 which is best and to the correct amount of turns?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

main jet

turns,torque you`ve lost me.

Have you a diagram of the carb?

Also you no answer mine or AdieR questions.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
JackJoshua

Jul 12

JackJoshua says:

upjet

ive changed the main jet and its a 2-stroke it was fine for about 3hours after i rejetted then started backfiring loads i checked the plug yesterday and it sparks but when i put it in and try it wont start but when i take it out it soaked:upset::upset::upset::upset: i dont know what the problem is:/

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

When you say

" it was popping and it kept bogging out on me", what does this mean (reluctant to start / hesitant on the throttle / cutting out)?

To be honest I would say that an up-jet in these circumstances is a waste of time because there's an underlying fault which you haven't addressed. As its a 2T motor your oil / fuel mix may now be out (the oil is also a coolant so hope you haven't done damage).

By my reckoning, your main jet should be 53 and not 60.

Reply to this Topic
JackJoshua

Jul 12

JackJoshua says:

upjet

it doesnt want to start it has a spark but when i try to start it wont and when i take it back out its soaked, it also hesitates on full throttle, and cuts out when standing, but now it just wont start x

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

First thing to do

is change your jet back to the original 60 - to get anywhere, you need it back at a known standard, otherwise you're on a wild goose chase.

If you have an automatic choke, make sure it's working (you'll need a multimeter for this).

If that spark plug is of significant age, renew it.

Make sure your fuel lines (including any in-line fuel filters if you have any) are clear.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices