Skip to content

KTM Video: Extreme adventure test - part two 990 ADVENTURE

You are in... Forums > KTM > 990 ADVENTURE > Video: Extreme adventure test - part two

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Extreme adventure test - part two

We took the BMW R1200GS, Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 and KTM 990 Adventure on an off-road adventure and to really test their abilities, we enlisted Stan Watt, who finished 34th in this year's Dakar Rally. brightcove.createExperiences(); View part one here

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 July 2012 16:19)

Post a message in 990 ADVENTURE

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

3 tourers and one dual purpose. No surprises here. It's gonna hurt people's feelings but it should be taken as sound advice.

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Talk is cheap...

Finally we get part two featuring lots of talk and not much actual riding footage - they must have been having too much fun picking the bikes up! Is anyone actually surprised at the results? Flip it around and do a road test, it's pretty obvious the KTM would slip down the ranks - I still want one though... if only I was 6'4"!

Reply to this Topic
scorparider

Jan 10

scorparider says:

gabbalot

same opinion from me - if you're going to do a video show the bikes performing please. You can write down your opinions and I can read them.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

KTM rules

and I am not surprised, the first fair review from MCN, and the last notes about doing road adventure were really funny, yes right if I am planning "road only" adventure probably busha will kick out the butts for all especially Triumph ahahaha.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

feeling a little smug looking at my ktm 990 adventure R on the drive :) got to say i test road all the bikes in the vid exp trump and found the ktm more fun on the road so ideal bike in my eyes

Reply to this Topic
Moondogger

Jul 12

Moondogger says:

I wouldn't be so quick to say that the KTM lacks road manners. I just rode my Adventure R on 100 miles of freeway and twisties and 100 miles of dirt roads and jeep trails in the same day and the bike performed flawlessly.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

A predictable outcome to this test but how many people are going to take their bikes off road like this?

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Vertically challenged...

Always wanted an Adventure but being a short ass 5'9" feel I'd struggle with the seat height/weight (especially with the missus and some luggage on the back!). I manage okay with my little 2 stroke dirt bike with a 980mm seat, but it weighs literally half of the Adventure. So my question is are there any vertically challenged KTM Adventure riders out there and if so, how do you get on with the bike???

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

my dad runs a ktm 990 adrenture and he is 5.8 tall and i go on the bike fine.  and i can fit one fine and about the same hight. 

the bmw 1200adv is a bike that is to heavy and the seat hight is way off the ground.

ktm have the right idea make 990adv lighter and with a lower seat hight than a gs to sell more.

i think there is nothing better than running round sailbery plain on a dirt bike in jeans,hoody, ex army boots and  with only a helmet and gloves on.

Reply to this Topic
nordicbiker

Oct 09

nordicbiker says:

What finally counts, when we are talking adventure bikes, is weight! Right now I am my summer vacation in Sweden and Norway, driving a large portion on gravel and logging roads and so far - lucky me - I have not laid down my bike on this trip. However this happes to me regularly on dirt roads, when stopping or turning and the ground clearance is a bit too much for my 1.71m. My own bike, the 990 Adventure, does not give me any unsolvable problems when lifting, but I would not like to do this with a bike like the 12GS Adv, which is another 40 (?) kg heavier. Just look how Charlie and Ewen are fighting together to get this piece of heavy metal upright again. No way one average person can lift it when luggage is installed. I HAVE done this exercise a few times with my KTM!

So weight is not only importanty when it comes to handling. Like a friend of mine said: when you can't lift your bike on your own, it's not the right bike for you. And sooner or later we all go down!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices