Skip to content

KTM Video: Extreme adventure test - part two 990 ADVENTURE

You are in... Forums > KTM > 990 ADVENTURE > Video: Extreme adventure test - part two

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Extreme adventure test - part two

We took the BMW R1200GS, Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 and KTM 990 Adventure on an off-road adventure and to really test their abilities, we enlisted Stan Watt, who finished 34th in this year's Dakar Rally. brightcove.createExperiences(); View part one here

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 July 2012 16:19)

Post a message in 990 ADVENTURE

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Now throw a 1995 KLR250 in there

Light enough to drag out of a ditch, or cheap enough to leave in it.

Sorry, I know that's not what your advertisers want to hear.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Getting It Up

Any bike designed for serious off-road touring should have crash bars or other fall protection that keeps the tires in contact with the ground when the bike is on its side. I find it easier to pick up a 900+ pound H-D Electra Glide Police Cruiser than my 570-ish pound Honda Dullsville, since the former can be picked up by backing into it and using just leg strength until the bike is mostly upright, while the latter requires a frontal lift to get the tires back in contact with the ground.

And yes, I prefer moto videos with *no* talking – use the video time to show the bikes in action.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

It's the BMW Reality Distortion Field

There's no sense in trying to explain it, beyond cognitive dissonance.  BMW = reliable, therefore I'm only imagining all these problems, TRA LA LA, CAN'T HEAR YOU.

I'm just after looking at an example of their 650 single engine (*cough* made by Kymco *cough*) that's eaten its cams after 6,000 properly looked after miles.  Not 600,000, not 60,000, six thousand.  It doesn't look like oil starvation, there no sign of overheating, they're just scored to buggery.

With random slipshod quality control like that, you might as well get a British bike. ;)

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Piglet2010

I had a similar problem with a fully loaded steel framed CBR600 a few years ago (and they're somewhat light in comparison to this crowd). I was in italy and the road I was on became untarmaced and then a heavily rutted off road track. The front end slide sideways at next to 0mph and the bike rolled on to its side. Unfortunately the wheels were left slightly in the air and I simply couldn't lift the bike upright. (it just wanted to spin around on the fairing/ engine casing) I had to wait around 30 minutes before some walkers came along the track and gave me a hand. I've never had a problem picking a bike up before but because of the angle I couldn't brace the wheels against anything.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I would like to see Suzuki introduce a Busa engined "hyper adventure" bike retuned for low down Torque.

Reply to this Topic
pushr0d

Mar 06

pushr0d says:

What happened to the wounded bikes?

Nice piece, guys! Do this again with the next size down. 800XC/F650GS/KLR650/etc. What did you find was the problems with the Yamaha and the BMW?

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Horses for courses...

Surely it's impossible to have one bike to suit all eventualities. The GS 1200 might cover vast distances in comfort but is too heavy for real off roading. On the other hand a smaller capacity machine such as a Yamaha XT660 is better in the dirt, but lacks grunt on the motorway. So I ask you is there one machine that excels at everything?? Which bike would you take on the Long Way Round???

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

2smoke

Judging by the comments regarding the 1200GS reliability..... a 1200GS firing on one cylinder (600cc) With various bits falling off (half the weight) would be the Ideal bike....!

Reply to this Topic
bigjames

Oct 02

bigjames says:

Adventure bikes?

And no two wheel drive Urals? Where is the adventure? Looks like these big high dollar fancy bikes aren't any better or is that worse. Plus, Urals rarely fall over causing lever to break... Sorry, couldn't resist...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Origin

@ Rogerborg – The 651cc BMW G-Series thumper engine is made by Lifan in mainland China, not Kymco in Taiwan.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle