Skip to content

KTM Video: Extreme adventure test - part two 990 ADVENTURE

You are in... Forums > KTM > 990 ADVENTURE > Video: Extreme adventure test - part two

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Extreme adventure test - part two

We took the BMW R1200GS, Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 and KTM 990 Adventure on an off-road adventure and to really test their abilities, we enlisted Stan Watt, who finished 34th in this year's Dakar Rally. brightcove.createExperiences(); View part one here

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 July 2012 16:19)

Post a message in 990 ADVENTURE

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Oh Lordy

That assplains it then.  The cam probably got scored from a child labourer's hand that got left in there during assembly.

Reply to this Topic
stonecoldkane

May 10

XL600V.

I really fancied a KTM 990 Adventure 2 years ago to compliment my other bikes, but then l remembered my old Honda 600 transalp. Fine on road, really capable off road, 220 miles to a tank, bullet proof and cheap. So l bought another one, then rode it through all that snow. Chucked it down the road a couple of times at speed but no real damage. I still have it, and even though sometimes l dont ride it for 2 or 3 months it always starts first push of the button. I am shortly off for a tour of Scotland and Norway on it. Still fancy a 990 Adventure but cant justify the extra money over the Transalp.

Reply to this Topic
jackintherok

Nov 11

jackintherok says:

Fair deal for Yamaha

What have you got against the Super Ten? Your first review was conducted with a total emphasis on speed and an unhealthy respect for the GS1200. And now you've managed to crack the sump, which probably means that some star took the sump guard off before making the bike do stuff it was never meant to do. And, you keep going on about the reliability of the GS when it even let you down twice, and on the second let-down had to be taken to hospital. How much did it cost to fix?

Reply to this Topic
sandmacker

Oct 10

sandmacker says:

Boy , it's hard to choose in this one . It really gets down to where your riding the thing .  Whilst Im no expert , it's common knowledge that these big bore bikes lose out on the dirt .They are just plainly too big to pick up if they're put down . They are in my opinion long distance tourers that cater for the back dirt roads and the occasional track .the KTM leans towards the dirt moreso than the bitumen , and the triumph is more towards the black stuff .   And are they pricey ! . When you look at the SV 650 Suzuki or the TDM yamaha (modded) for nearly half the price , that pretty well do what these bikes do , albeit not as well , I'm having difficulty in accepting the extra price of these behemoths to go bush bashing  . I've gone bush bashing on my TDM , to scratching it with the hyper bikes the next week end, to touring on the holidays  . In that the triumph gets my nod . It can do it all , and that's where these bikes are at in my opinion .And it's the cheapest bike here also . All bikes are brilliant in saying though

Reply to this Topic
davidmorgan

Jun 04

davidmorgan says:

Too heavy

I'm in the market for a new adventure bike (my 22-year-old R80GS getting a bit ratty) but I'm not going to be seduced by these ridiculous heavyweights.  Over the years, having rented a KLR250, DR350 and XT660 in Turkey, I've come to the conclusion that lighter is better for brown laning.

I won't be buying any of these bikes.  I might have a look at the KTM, but it's still heavier than my R80!

Reply to this Topic
cbrpilot

Sep 03

cbrpilot says:

Given the choices and budget, I'll stick with the Africa Twin. Bullet proof engine, no fecky electronics or immobiliser, no ABS or traction control, no spangly pretend bash plates and fake dirt bike looks. Does what it says on the tin, good on fuel and never let me down.

I'd probably have enough cash left over to put the fuel in to go round the world too.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices