You are in... Forums > General > General > hi viz debate

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

streaky100

Mar 09

streaky100 says:

hi viz debate

i have an answer to all the questions about if hi viz wear save lives. i have tried hi viz jackets and vests and have had a few near misses...honda  have been developing a bike with a 'human face' as the human brain recognises a face... i have bought one piece of protective wear and not had another near miss since. the wonder kit??? a rossi replica helmet with his face on the top.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 July 2012 21:16)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

The missed point here

any "wonder kit" (whether hiviz or human face or whatever) only works IF THEY LOOK.

It's fekkin' worthless if they're screaming at the kids in the back / using mirrors to apply makeup / texting / changing CD's / insert your own distraction.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi Viz

Why do emergency service operatives still get knocked off their bikes when wearing this 'wonder' stuff?

If the safety freaks get their way everyone will all be dressed in the shit.

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Empty headed twats

If numpties can put out in front of a bright red fire engine with blue flashing lights and feckin loud sirens then how can a bit of orange or yellow get their attention?!!!! Expect every other driver; car/bike/van/lorry/bus to try and kill you and you won't be surprised if one of them does.:mad:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

big bird outfit.

should be a choice issue...

but YES. It works in my opinion. 

Its when I dont wear it that drivers just start to pull out a bit closer on roundabouts... and so fourth.  I can tell I havent got it on. 

Everything and anything that can help I will wear, providing it doesnt invloved wearing a big-bird outfit... although that probably

would work better still.

Sorry, now I read this post it sounds like I actually wear a big bird outfit... I meant hi vis... normal hi-vis. 

True it only works if they look.... thats why it doesnt work sometimes.  But sometimes, its because they've got the their brain set to car mode... they look right through you... and if they see hi/vis well, that comes right through and they spot it.  It wont work all the time though.

Reply to this Topic
TenBears

Aug 02

TenBears says:

I don't believe there is a single shred of evidence to support the assumption high viz aids safety for motorcyclists. On a psychological level you'll be risk compensating when wearing one, so it could be argued you'll be inherently more unsafe.

The simple fact is if road users don't look, they won't see you. You can even have eye contact & still be pulled out on.

Here in Switzerland I haven't noticed a single wearer, yet in the UK it's some kind of nanny fashion statement.

For me it shouts 'I'm inadequate, my riding's mediocre & I need a security blanket'. Approach these riders with caution, they may lack an L plate, but don't be deceived... always give them a very wide berth & get clear of these hazards as soon as possible.

Reply to this Topic
zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

adie r

just read ur post and i agree just wrote very similar on another thread(embarassing) but totally agree all day long:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

how about hi viz and

lights ALWAYS on compulsory. It is proven fact that lights on decrease the accidents with 30%. In my country lights ALWAYS  on is compulsory for all vehicles (cars, trucks, bikes).

Agree there are elderly drivers that can't see you and yes it is your job to ride in a way you stay alive.

And if you do not have lights on in accident guess who will get insurance compensation :smile

You want to take risks go on Silverstone, public roads are for A to B.

Reply to this Topic
zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

valco

where is your country ?

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

belt and braces

I dont think it comes down to poor riding... its better to have a belt and braces, rather than just a belt if the result of your tousers coming down means you lose your legs or even your life.

But thats just my opinion and it should be a choice issue. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Awareness (or lack of) is key.

They can mandate hi-viz and daytime headlights, then a compulsory pillion waving a red flag and ringing a bell, but when that still doesn't bring drivers to a state of awareness will it be time to look at driver education? Why not do that right now?

Last week I was in my car on the M11 when the traffic ground to a halt. There was an accident up ahead. It was a hot afternoon for once and after 10 mins people (idiots) started flinging their doors open and walking about the motorway. I witnessed 3 near misses as bikes filtered through (two 2-up BMWs and a hi-viz blood delivery bike). My point is the drivers (now walkers) had no awareness of bikes at all, nor even a fear of being run down by one, such was their ignorance. It was amazing. They didn't see because they weren't looking.

(At this point I'd like to thank Remus and Akrapovic for supplying safety devices for my two bikes :winkie:.)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices