You are in... Forums > General > General > GSX650f vs CB500s vs CBR600

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

GSX650f vs CB500s vs CBR600

just bought a GSX650f and exchanged my dying CB500s.  Now, I was expecting a massive power/ acceleration increase.. since 1/4's are 13.2 seconds and 11.94 seconds for the GSX650f.  Which is quite a difference.  I mean the GSX650f is only 1/4 second slower than the CBR600. 

The GSX650 is cool is so many other ways like its cumfy, smooth and looks good.  But I want to make sure its not restricted or losing power.  Maybe Its just the riding position that creates the illussion of a steadier ride?

Its not feeling much faster than the CB500s, if at all!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 July 2012 11:25)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

could be the fern

its probably the fern deflecting the wind so it doesn't feel any faster or its power delivery is higher up the rev range than the cb500

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Surely it should be quicker

You need to rev the GSX6 a bit to get the power. The CB5 is a middle size twin so has more low down torque. This might be one of the things that influence the acceleration - power often relates to top speed rather than acceleration and gearing will also influence things. The acceleration figures for the GSX6 were probably from ragging the engine a bit and slipping the clutch. Then again maybe it is restricted/ down on power.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

4 cyl

gives a smoother ride and quicker revving engine which will appear less frantic than the twin which might give an illusion of a more sedate ride. The drop in wind presure from a full fairing will boost this sensation too.

I have a GSX600F (2001 edition), but for a short period of time rode a GS500 as a loan bike. Going back down, ytou notice the power drop more than you notice the power gain on the way up.

Weight of the GSX doesn't help matters though as the bike will feel more sluggish immediately off the line.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

GSX650

As others have pointed out, the different engine configurations will make the two bikes feel completely different ion the road.  Their power characteristics are nothing alike.

There is an easy way to see what your GSX is producing and that is to stick it on a dyno.     

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

GSX

Get the engine warm. Get on an open, clear road. Now pull away in 1st gear, change into 2nd gear where you normally would.

Now, NAIL the throttle WIDE OPEN. DO NOT change gear until the revs hit the red line. Keep going until you're in 6th.

Then tell me the CB500 was as quick..

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

Hi geoffart

I went from a cbf500(same engine i believe as a cb) to a cbr 600 a couple of months ago.

Like yourself,i found the ride much smoother,and better for it.I much prefer the faring over naked too.

The cbr is noticabley faster however,not as much faster as I first thought it would be.Just like you found with the gsx650 really.

I think this is because the cb/cbf is looked upon as being really,really slow when it just isnt.So you expect more than you get with the trade up in bikes.

Also,the inline four is so very different than the inline twin to ride that it can take some time to adjust.You have lost all that low rev grunt/torque and gained high rev power.

Futhermore,no disrespect intended as please appriciate i dont know you but, perhaps,as eatcs01 has hinted at,you need to ride it a bit harder to really find that extra power.

I used to wide open throttle in 2nd on the cbf quite comfertably but as yet have not done so with the cbr as im too much of a wuss.

For me personally tho,I much prefere the inline four.My cbf would get bad vibes at 65mph and now at 65mph the fun has barely begun.

Reply to this Topic
chrisbf125

Sep 10

chrisbf125 says:

Twin versus 4 cylinder

For equal engine sizes a twin makes more power in the lower half of the rev range than a four but a four makes more in the top half. So to accelerate quickly from the lights with a four you need to set the revs high (10,000 or so on my CBR600RR!) and slip the clutch. Once you get on the open road fours are faster but you may find a twin easier to ride quickly around town. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices