Ask an Expert fuel cap problem Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > fuel cap problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nc30netherton

Feb 11

fuel cap problem

Hi guys, got an issue with the fuel cap on my 2004 Hornet 600. Basically there is a gap between the tank and the cap, only a couple mm and only on the front bit of the cap, but when it rains water gets in through and into my petrol which makes it splutter and run like a b**tch at low RPM. Never noticed it let water in before as ive never seen any water lying around the overflow bit of the tank when I have filled up. Is it supposed to be like that cause if it is, what a crap design.Theres no damage to my tank or the cap either.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 July 2012 16:16)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cap

Your cap should be flush/same contour as your tank and central.Also the keyhole should have a slider/shutter or flap over.On the inside should be a big rubber washer/seal ring smaller than the cap but shoud seal against the filler neck in the middle.Any water going in or any fuel spill outside the filler neck when filling should go down the overflow pipe.

Have another look because it sounds dodgy from what you say.

EDIT,if it`s a flap over it should be sprung loaded and seal against a rubber ring surrounding your keyhole.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices