Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Tempted by a Chinese bike? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Tempted by a Chinese bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ped Baker  says:

Poll: Tempted by a Chinese bike?

According to figures from the Motorcycle Industry Association, by the end of July new Chinese bikes will outsell new Japanese machines in the UK for the first time ever, mostly as mopeds or scooters. How tempted are you to buy a Chinese bike? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 10:46)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Father in Law bought an 18 month old model (chinese 125cc scooter). It was utter crap. Headrace bearings were RUSTY. Exhaust was blowing. It was basically made of "monkey metal".

Admittedly he paid £300 for it, and got his money back 2 or 3 years later when he sold it. Were he not a mechanic who can fix anything and everything, it would have cost him a fortune to keep on the road.

They're cheap for a reason.

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

Dross

They're UTTER UTTER dross, don't ever be tempted they fall apart quicker than a digestive biscuit in a cup of tea.

They're worthless second hand, spend your money on a used Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha etc as at least it'll be reliable and have some resale value

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

I was considering one, but decided against it as the quality isn't good enough. I'll just keep saving for a better one instead

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

Nope

I have met a few guys out whilst riding who have them. They are usually younger learner riders. I always ask them how they are. 

Most have had the privilege to have ridden a mates jap bike for comparison. All the guys I have spoken to said they are not happy with them and those that could compare said there is a massive difference between jap and chinese. They are much heavier for one and the handling is meant to be truly shocking by comparison.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

fk no!!

just wait a few years so they can reverse engineer, plaguerise some more Japanese motorcycle and then ..... maybe?

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

I wouldn't go anywhere near one from what I've heard from mates who have them. I would like to see a race series though using only Chinese made bikes. Would be like wacky races.

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Hahaha No Waaaay!

The ones I see look like they are 10+ years old even though they are only 1-4 years old.  They seem to rust so fast.  I park next to a Hyosung Comet 125 2008 and it doesn't have a single bit of metal that has either lost it's lustre and is flaking or is bright orange with deep rust.

Maybe this is a reflection on the owner as well but the quality of the finish of these China specials is woeful.

Reply to this Topic
barnowl95

Jun 12

barnowl95 says:

Got one

I've got a tmec 125 its identical to a honda xr 125 the metal fixings aren't a high grade but i bought it for around £500 for just learning on, and that's what it's good at it's good for learning it hits 65mph and does about 200 to a tank, also its done over 4000 miles, if my father wasn't an engineer it would of been terrible though, we have upgraded the rear shock, new exhaust but the surprising thing is parts are easy to find just search the jap equivalent and they fit better than originals , crazy world, thank god i have a jap bike when i pass

Reply to this Topic
paulgday30

Mar 12

paulgday30 says:

Dont always blame the bike

The problem the whole chinese market has had is the in the past some "so called dealers"  have basicly purchased a container full of chinese scooters thinking they can make a fast buck. They havnt given any thought to aftersales and sold machines that havnt been built out the crate properly, not set them up or PDI'd them properly and some dealers have simply sold bikes still in the crate on a "build yourself" basis! Thats why people say they wouldnt "touch with a bargepole"  I was in a friends bike show 2 weeks ago a they had a Yamaha R125 on the ramp. A 08 plate non runner that had 1400 miles on the clock and it was knackard. It had never seen the business end of a soapy sponge and the parts that wernt rusty were falling off. Now R125's are a fantastic bike but if you dont look after it, of course it will fall apart! To make a sweeping statement like "I will never buy chinese" is a little short sighted. A lot of Peugeot scooters are made in china, The chinese make some electricial components for BMW and a lot of other products that people think are made in europe or japan are made in china. They key is, dont just make you decision on what you mate down the pub has told you. Look at the product up close. make sure you buy from a dealer that had a showroom and isnt working out of a shed. Make sure they have a workshop or workshop facilitys, and make sure the dealer has a good reputation. Then check the bikes your looking have an official importer and its not just a bloke thats brought a container load of bikes while on holiday. Then ask question. Does the importer have a parts supply? Do the bikes have a parts and labour warranty? If a part isnt in stock, how long would it take to come into stock? If in doubt, call the importer and ask them questions.  If your buying used bike, dont always blame the bike on its poor condition, look at its owner and service history. Are japanese bikes better quality! Yes of course they are, but look at the new prices compared to chinese. 10 years ago the chinese market was terrible and I would have also said "I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole"  But things are much different today, 10 years ago most people would have said they wouldnt touch a Skoda or a Kia car and now they have big dealers, with millions of pounds spent on customer care and now they are a mainstream product. 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Nope

I wouldn't want one - there might be decent ones out there, but there's plenty of cheap tat as well.

I recall one lad who had a Chinese moped, the exhaust rusted through and he couldn't source a new one; in the end he ended up welding the thing up just to stay on the road.

For the money you pay for a Chinese bike you could buy a used Japanese / European bike which is in better overall condition and which has a known dealer network and readily available spares.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices