Skip to content

Discuss This BMW makes ABS standard on all new models New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > BMW makes ABS standard on all new models

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

BMW makes ABS standard on all new models

All new BMW motorcycles will come with ABS as standard when the 2013 models go on sale. BMW has opted to fit all their models with ABS from 2013 due to the European Union's requirement that all motorcycles sold within Europe should come with ABS as of 2016. Other than the addition of ABS, most of BMW's range get slight changes wfor...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 12:57)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

switchable?

Will the dual purpose bikes be able to switch off their ABS, or will it be on all the time?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ABS

At present it's switchable.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

BMW and the EU

In bed together ,no wonder the eu is pushing through all these new expensive rules !

Reply to this Topic
JHB1984

Dec 09

JHB1984 says:

ABS

people ... nobody said that the ABS isn't switchable anymore ... ABS just comes now as standard from the factory ... not as an option, like before.

Reply to this Topic
gordonglover

Feb 04

gordonglover says:

abs

if i remember correct was it not BMW autos who invented the cat convertor ????? which also strangely enough became compulsory in the eu !!!!!! what next?? or have BMW not invented anything else yet to make a few bob with,,,

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Oh, has that Directive passed then?

Sorry, I must have blinked and missed that. <eye roll>

Anyway, the Directive is being drafted because BMW (and Bosch) want to fit all bikes with ABS, not the other way around.

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Competition

Well, they've got to do something to compete with all those companies who are building better quality similar bikes than they are and could start to lose sales to them. And I didn't mention Triumph once...Doh!

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

won't be buying one of them then.

I value my life too much to allow a f****g computer to release a brake I am applying

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

ABS

Unless you're in the top 1% of riders who can, in an emergency situation on an adverse condition road outbrake the ABS then you would be crazy not to want it.

Just about every anti abs jibe I've ever heard has come from those that had never experienced it or had it save them.

Amazes me that people will happily sit thousands of feet above ground in an airliner on the autopilot computer, often even on auto landing yet will bitch at a computer performing a simple braking action .... this isn't star wars and you can't use the force :)

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

triumph?

I suppose Triumph has been able to spend more time on QC seeing as their design department doesn't bother anymore and just copies the GS and the RT ;)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices