Skip to content

Discuss This BMW makes ABS standard on all new models New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > BMW makes ABS standard on all new models

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

BMW makes ABS standard on all new models

All new BMW motorcycles will come with ABS as standard when the 2013 models go on sale. BMW has opted to fit all their models with ABS from 2013 due to the European Union's requirement that all motorcycles sold within Europe should come with ABS as of 2016. Other than the addition of ABS, most of BMW's range get slight changes wfor...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 12:57)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GFYALL

Dec 09

GFYALL says:

Stop the paranoia

BMW isn't the only bike selling ABS, even Harley have them. They are just preparing for the the EU legislation that will save lives for a large number of buyers of future new bikes. Everyone on their second hand Triumphs (what an ironic name for a bike that says the polar opposite about the machine and rider) doesn't have to pay a penny, won't have ABS and can continue to crash and bang when the going gets rough. This is a perfectly good piece of legislation for new bikes only. So credit to BMW for being the first bike maker to be compliant with future legislation. Triumph, when did they come first in anything? Speed? Sales? Profit? Dream on you crazy conspiracy theorists.

Reply to this Topic
jallen

Aug 02

jallen says:

It was already standard across the BMW Range in reality though. Although you could order say a K1300S without ABS it would take ages to be delivered and the dealer wouldn't want to sell it on later.

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Computers never screw up?

Computers don't care. I have first hand knowledge of an ABS system releasing brakes and nearly killing me. They can be trusted for many things, but not when your survival depends on them. Has your computer ever taken a dump? As for aircraft, try telling that one to the airbus demo pilot calling for full throttle and the computer decided he was landig and cut the power and landed him in the woods. I repeat, not on my bike.

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

Cars ...

Given that just about every car nowadays has ABS I'd think it's a proven technology and of far more benefit on a single track vehicle!

Sure you may have a 1 in a gazillion chance of it failing open, just as the autopilot failure on the aforementioned jet ... but how many millions of times has it successfully worked and saved lives?

Reply to this Topic
JessicaS34

Jul 12

JessicaS34 says:

I am a single biker woman. My friend told me about___seekingbikers.com___she told me it is the best place for bikers to find Friendship, Love, and Romance! I have tried, it is fantastic, hundreds of thousands of hot biker men and biker babes are there. Come in and give it a shot, you will find your biker match to share the passion for motorbikes! :)

Reply to this Topic
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

Apologies for my ignorance

not got it on any of my bikes but why wouldn't you want it ?? Does it detract from the riding enjoyment?

OK, in the event of a failure, sure, but thats the same with brakes in general, or most other major components

Reply to this Topic
thedukeofhunslet

Nov 07

It does work

Firstly... its switchable. This means when the weather is dry you can switch it off and it will make no difference. But when it's wet... it has saved my bike more than once. This paranoia about it screwing up is garbage. My 2008 Adventure has had so many recalls now it's a joke... but nothing for the ABS. Interestingly you can tell its working not because it releases the front brake but because it feathers the rear more. You'll be braking hard and all of a sudden the rear brake pedal will vanish from under your feet (telling you you should be using more rear) and then starts slapping away at your foot. If you were braking right in the first place it wouldn't be doing it. The ABS on my BMW is overall worth it. The electronic suspension is not... but the real life saver is the stability program. I defy anyone to high side a BMW with that on. I was coming out of a roundabout like a speedway rider last March... it got to the point where I was ramming the throttle open to try and get it to crash and it refused... just making me look like a riding god along the way... which I ain't.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Requirement

it's more like a diktat by a bunch of unelected anti-democratic wankshafts who I should like to bet have never ridden in their lives.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Isn't ABS compulsory in Germany? Maybe thats why all their models have it nowadays...

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

Jessicas34

hundreds of thousands of hot biker men and biker babes are there... Gotta Laugh,,,, you made my day.

bet that was a geeza who posted that tosh!  or even SNEV

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices