Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

My wife has been riding pillion with me for years but now she wants to learn to ride. I really don't want her to do it - she's a bloody awful driver and has dreadful hand-eye coordination. I'm actually quite scared for her. I don't want to put my foot down say she can't do it, but what choice do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 13:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

Not a lot you can do

All you can do is let her find out for herself if she is cut out for riding. Just makes sure that she goes out fully protected in the right gear so that when the inevitable (every new rider will drop it in a carpark or slip in the wet at some point) happens she is as safe as she can be.

I'm pretty sure that each and every one of us was pretty useless the first time we rode a bike. Maybe she'll surprise you...

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Training & Tests

Your wife will have to go through training and tests before she is allowed to ride a bike and hopefully this will weed out the useless ones.  Some always slip through the net but you should have a chat to her instructor if you really are that concerned to see how she progresses/is progressing.  Any instructor worth their salt wouldn't put someone who is a danger to themselves and/or others in for a test.

Reply to this Topic
andyfrancis

Mar 05

andyfrancis says:

Learning curve

I would just hope she doesn't look at this website or you may need a softer saddle for a while.....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Dr Mengle

Apr 03

Dr Mengle says:

Let her ride

Just make sure you know where her life insurance policy is!!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

"she's a bloody awfull driver and has dreadfull hand-eye coordination. I'm actually quite scared for her."........Yeah and I'm bloody Scared as well !!!!

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

Seriously ? She can go pillion but not learn to take any more control than that ? YOU are the ball and chain mate. Stop holding her back.

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Let her do the training. She has to be safe on the off-road part of the CBT before she goes on the road, she has to get he CBT before she does her DAS, and she has to pass a 2 part test before she gets let loose on the road. If she really has no coordination or aptitude, she either won't pass at some stage of the process, or will decide she doen't enjoy it and will stick to riding pillion. If in fact she's not that bad after all and passes her CBT and then her full test, then good on her. Encourage her to get further training, join IAM or RoSPA, make sure she has the right gear, and encourage her to ride safely by doing the same when you ride together. My wife went from riding pillion with me to passing her CBT (second time) then her full test on a 125 (so had a restricted license) then took her full test again on a 500 to remove the restriction before the 2 years were up (and passed both full tests first time). Now she's a competent rider, we enjoy riding together, and we're both working toward our IAM test. She may not have progressed in her riding as quickly as I did but she enjoys it, knows her limitations, rides sensibly and has just as much right to be on a bike as I do!

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

I agree with DrWorm, the instructor will be able to tell how good she is. I take it she passed her driving test a long time ago when standards weren't as "high", or has picked up bad habits over the years. Just give her encouragement, if the instructor thinks she's not good enough, or ever will be, then she can't be mad at you for believing she can do it. And if she picks it up and is good, then you have another rider on days out :-)

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

advice

you are a d*ck get over your self is my advice

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

sooooo many dirty posts to be had with this one

But I will resist