Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

My wife has been riding pillion with me for years but now she wants to learn to ride. I really don't want her to do it - she's a bloody awful driver and has dreadful hand-eye coordination. I'm actually quite scared for her. I don't want to put my foot down say she can't do it, but what choice do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 13:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rabchog

Oct 06

rabchog says:

you don't

if she's really that bad she won't manage to pass the test. If she does pass and you're worried about her ability, then get her to do advanced riding courses starting with Bike Safe and you do them with her.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As per

many others, let her do it - a decent instructor will teach her how to ride / drive defensively (as opposed to simply passing a test).

As for "she's a bloody awful driver and has dreadful hand-eye coordination", take a step back and look in the mirror occasionally; I'm pretty sure you're not perfect either, even if you believe otherwise.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Won't pass her test?

Somebody commented that if she's that bad she won't pass her test. If that's the case then how the ***k did the dozens of 25mph, haven't got a clue what they're doing, women car drivers that I see every day pass their tests? 90% of women are bloody HOPELESS behind a wheel.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Please

I can't believe this bull shit even makes it on to this site.

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

Go for it

I can see why you'd worry; but I reckon with the right training, right kit and a bike that aint silly fast, theres no reason why she shouldn't be as safe as the rest of us.

Probably the biggest risk, is us middle aged blokes racing around on sports bikes; and I somehow dont think that many women would be thrashing around flat out all the time........shock, gulp, statistically they may be even safer!!

Enjoy

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

Go for it

I can see why you'd worry; but I reckon with the right training, right kit and a bike that aint silly fast, theres no reason why she shouldn't be as safe as the rest of us.

Probably the biggest risk, is us middle aged blokes racing around on sports bikes; and I somehow dont think that many women would be thrashing around flat out all the time........shock, gulp, statistically they may be even safer!!

Enjoy

Reply to this Topic
number75

Jul 12

number75 says:

MCN John?

Is this the same john westlake from the paper that had a big off not so long ago? Maybe she's giving you a taste of your own medicine!

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

MCN John

.....Now that would be embarassing; your misses having to ride, with you on the back, because she was a better rider!!

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

well my wife who is 20 wont to get her cbt soon then try and work out the bike test so he can save up for a350 soon to.  but she does not wont her car test as the cost of insurance will be 10x more for a car than a bike.

i think she will be fine on a bike as the training is better but it all seems to be in a car park.  as i think she would be better on a bike if she did all the training on the road like i did 4years a go for my test.

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

BMWGS

Is this you coming out of the closet? you refer to your wife as "he".

John Westlake, Make sure your wife has plenty of life insurance then sit back and wait for the cheque.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices