Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

My wife has been riding pillion with me for years but now she wants to learn to ride. I really don't want her to do it - she's a bloody awful driver and has dreadful hand-eye coordination. I'm actually quite scared for her. I don't want to put my foot down say she can't do it, but what choice do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 13:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Find a really bad CBT school

There are plenty out there staffed with failed examiners (i.e. double-failed bike coppers) who just enjoy yelling at noobs.  After they've complety destroyed her confidence, you can console her with new pinafore and some cake ingredients.

Reply to this Topic
Ddod

May 12

Ddod says:

Sounds familiar

My wife decided she wants a Vespa (a purple one) .  I just suggested she might want to learn to ride a pedal bike first and I was in the dog house!?... there was me about to work up to the subject of trading up my bike.

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Simple Solution

Next time your wife sits on your bike tell her that you never noticed it before but the bike makes her bum look big, if she's anything like my Mrs she will never go near the thing again. Problem solved, happy solo riding ! 

Reply to this Topic
katoo46

Dec 05

katoo46 says:

You could try treating her like an adult and just let her make her own decisions? She's not your possession, so you're not in aposition to "put your foot down" -personally, I would tell you to fuck off and then do what ever I wanted. You're clearly a knob.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

Easy name change to fritzl and build a cellar lol

Reply to this Topic
mickofield

Sep 09

mickofield says:

Let the chips fall

Your wife may appear to have a lot of problems, most of which she is aware of. Enroll her in an MSF/BMF approved riding class and let the examiner/teacher take it form there.

Reply to this Topic
doctortongue

Jan 09

doctortongue says:

Get her through the proper training and maybe in a couple of years she might be pushing for both of you to take a big bike tour every year..

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Talk to her?

Politely?  Y'know, speaking to your actual wife-person rather than a bunch of randoms on t'Internet?

And just one question - are you qualified to assess her driving?  Maybe it's her over-bearing husband sat in the passenger seat that's making here nervous.  Just sayin'.

As others have said, get her to a decent school and let a qualified instructor sort her out.  If I told my g/f "You can't do that" I'd be picking my teeth up off the floor.  Quite right too.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

You Don't Stop Her

1. How would you like it if she told you she doesn't want you doing something you enjoy?  Like riding a bike?  Nothing causes resentment in a relationship like this.

2. If she's a crap driver, learning to ride a bike will make her better.  She'll learn more about attentiveness and situational awareness.

3. She still has to pass an exam.  If she doesn't because she sucks or hurts herself in a parking lot test, no more worries for you.  End of game.

4. If she passes and gets killed soon after, you can go out and get yourself a younger, hotter model and go on vacation with her with the insurance money.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

NO

How sad are you , What would you do if she told you that you had to get rid of your bike and had to stay in.

I suspect you would hit the roof.

Put your self in her position.

Just be happy for her and let her go for it , then ride with her and enjoy. I wish my missus would take her bike test ,

It may just give her the confidence she needs to improve her skills as a driver.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices