Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

My wife has been riding pillion with me for years but now she wants to learn to ride. I really don't want her to do it - she's a bloody awful driver and has dreadful hand-eye coordination. I'm actually quite scared for her. I don't want to put my foot down say she can't do it, but what choice do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 13:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

let her ride

relaxed riding is way more easier then been a pillion passenger, have you ever tried benn a pillion, way more harder mate.

Reply to this Topic
whythedevilnot

Dec 11

We shouldn't be discouraging anyone from riding! Please don't try to stop it. Help her get the best training available and it will probably help her improve her driving. It does for most IMO. I was chuffed to bits when my wife decided to go for it.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Get some training

My advice would be to offer to pay for your wife to have professional training, then it is their responsibility to assess whether she is a competent rider or not, then train her accordingly. As a counselling therapist I would stick my neck out and suggest there is something more to your concern than you are admitting (even to yourself). Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Wife riding (fnnaarrr)

It's her life and her choice. You have to let her make her own mind up. By all means you can explain your concerns but under no circumstance can you use your opinion to manipulate her against doing something she wants to do. She's her own individual and not your property.

It's also a little two faced to ride yourself but suggest others shouldn't be able to try for themselves.

I paid for my partner to take bike riding lessons becuase it's what she wanted to do.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

Tell that bitch to behave and get back in the kitchen. I'd like to see that in next weeks paper lol

Reply to this Topic
DavidHondaCBF

Mar 10

Got to agree with burningbush...

At the end of the day if she's as bad as you think - they won't pass her or will at least get her to a decent standard. I get where you're coming from but if you're just worried about her riding badly then it should be fine - either she's bad and doesn't get passed or she's good and all is well.

Reply to this Topic
sdy30

May 09

sdy30 says:

Why even ask?

Can't believe the question. If the wife wants to learn to ride, encourage it! Hypocritical to suggest she shouldn't. My wife has a bike of her own, has done the police Bike Safe course and California Super Bike Shool, both at her suggestion. Having a shared interest is great and it's great knowing she understands a bit about my obsession! The more people on two wheelst the better and better still if it's the wife! Encourage, support and enjoy.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Right Bike

Make sure she starts out on the right bike – Kawasaki ZZR1400, Suzuki Hayabusa, Ducati Streetfighter 1100 S, Triumph Rocket III, Yamaha V-Max, and BMW K1300S are all good choices for the novice rider.

Reply to this Topic
BradleyRob

Jan 11

BradleyRob says:

Ever thought she wants to ride - because YOUR skills aren't up to scratch??

My wife recently passed her test first time after being initially scared of riding, and is now getting comfortable with motorways (having not driven for years).  She's taking it slowly but is very happy on her Bonneville.

She crashed on her CBT due to a dangerously defective bike from a training school, destroying her kit, but got back on a better bike the next day and whilst still a novice, is far better than a large number of more experienced male riders! 

We recently visited one dealership,  and all the guys were stunned and admiring when she rode in on the Bonneville; so is it a case YOU are worried that she will get all the attention!

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Yeah maybe she's shit scared riding pillion with you. A 54 y.o. female work colleague just bought herself a 200 scooter this year and she loves it. Let her ride.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices