Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

My wife has been riding pillion with me for years but now she wants to learn to ride. I really don't want her to do it - she's a bloody awful driver and has dreadful hand-eye coordination. I'm actually quite scared for her. I don't want to put my foot down say she can't do it, but what choice do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 13:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

/

just my laptop key board is old and some of the keys dont work that well.

just like to say my hand eye coordination is bad as well so i never palyed football all any thing. but i can rider a bike better than i can drive a car.

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

I hope

After reading this thread the OP has gone for a long old look in the mirror. What a divot.

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

My Husband

didn't want me to take my test,so i did the decent thing and told him to" Feck off".Passed the test now ride a Fire Blade.Happy days.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Kenzie2k3

Jul 12

Kenzie2k3 says:

Selfish

I think the OP is afraid of losing control. Being the only one to ride he has some kind of power over his wife who just sits on the back. I'm glad my wife rides, she has her independance and can go where she likes. I still find it funny when we go into a bike store and they automaticaly speak to me about her bike. People assume woman are the pillions and not the riders. Let her go for it and stop being so selfish.

Reply to this Topic
R125BAT

May 12

R125BAT says:

You're so lucky, you don't even know it!

Good heavens! Here I am, wishing my wife would take an interest in biking by starting off with a CBT, so we could ride out together. She seems to categorically hate bikes, and here you are trying to stop yours from taking up biking!! She may be a nervous driver, but biking WILL make her a better motorist! Encourage her man! Don't stifle her enthusiasm. Good heavens!! You're so lucky, you don't even know it........ :-(

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

thankful

shouldnt u b thankful that shes taking an interest herself?

how many male riders have partners who detest them riding??

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Tw@t

"she's a bloody awful driver and  I'm actually quite scared for her"

But you let her drive don't you - so why not let her learn to ride a bike too?  Why can't she have the same hobby as you?

Selfish git.

Reply to this Topic
heath9144

Oct 11

heath9144 says:

tricky one...

I am sympathetic with your situation, although my partner has little or no interest in swinging her leg over, I too would find myself discouraging her if she ever did for the similar reason that she is a very poor car driver and if she was to have an accident then id rather it was in a box surrounded by air bags, to give her the best chance, but on the other hand, given the chance she would defiantly become a better overall road user as riding a bike teaches us lessons we can never be taught in a car...ever thought that maybe they had similar apprehensions when we took to biking?

Reply to this Topic
MattMorris

Sep 09

MattMorris says:

CBT

Just let her do the CBT course, If she is as bad as you say she won't even get far enough to do the on the road part of the course but she'll probably surprise you. Bear in mind she has been sat behind you for years and will have observed way more than you give her credit for.

Reply to this Topic
bobphillips

Oct 06

bobphillips says:

riding wife

she will probably be starring in "sons of anarchy" next year..just gotta live with it mate..does she stop you doing what you want?..ddooooaaarrrhhh

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices