You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > lifesaver

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

souroush

Nov 11

souroush says:

lifesaver

Perhaps this topic is a bit dull :winkie: and has been discussed on many occasions but I guess it always can help to check with people who have more experience.:smile

I am a bit confused about the lifesaver checks on roundabouts. I am not asking about indicating or glancing , just the lifesavers.

I guess there is no issue with going right on the roundabout as most people have the same idea of left on the approach and left on the exit.

But the views are divided on the left turns and straights on the roundabouts.

Left turn  on the R'about
on turning left some say you need to take a quick left LS on your approach and a proper left LS on before the  exit  . The other view says left LS on the approach and right LS on the exit as you have already in left and no hazards can come from your left.

Straight on the R'about

First view says you need to do a left LS before your exit to make sure no one trying to under-take from your left.
second view says you need to go for a right LS to make sure no one trying to beat you to the exit from your right

can someone please help a very confused rider :blink:
cheero:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 July 2012 12:16)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As you EXIT a

roundabout, the lifesaver is ALWAYS to the left.

As for the approach (getting in lane), then the general rule is the lifesaver in the direction you're moving: if your keeping to the left, then LH lifesaver, if you're moving across to the right, then a RH lifesaver for each change of position (you may need to make more than one LS if you're on a roundabout with multiple lanes).

The point of lifesavers is to ensure the space your moving into is clear by highlighting anything which might be hidden in your mirrors alone.

Final point with lifesavers: make sure you carry them out early enough to alter your plan if needs be; there's little point looking as you start to move the bike (at that point, if anything is wrong, you may not be able to get out of it).

Reply to this Topic
souroush

Nov 11

souroush says:

Nice!

Thanks  :smile

great explanation , to the point and simple.

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

life saver or shoulder check

LIFESAVERS are what you do before turning right and pulling away this is a proper look over your shoulder as far up the road behind you as you can see.

SHOULDER CHECKS are what you do to check your blind spots dont get the two confused as you do not use lifesavers on roundabouts or when changing lanes

if you are exiting a roundabout where is the risk coming from?

if you are leaving the r/b straight ahead what is going to fit between you and the kerb (on your left)?

answer? nothing.

when exiting a R/B straight ahead could a vehicle pass to your offside and attempt to take the same exit?

answer? yes.

so where do you need to look?

to your right!!!

the simple rule is to check the empty tarmac there really is no sense in looking at the pavement.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Lifesavers

Are the final glance into the blind spot in the direction you intend to proceed i.e. if you're moving left you glance left, move right glance right, these are sometimes referred to (incorrectly) as shoulder checks hence the confusion

Arryace what you're calling a "lifesaver" is actually a "Rear Observation" which is done before you set off from the side of the road & involves turning your head around to assess the traffic speed/coditions behind you. Tend to discourage them on the move as some people tend to move the handlebars as they look!:wacko: 

The topic of lifesavers at roundabouts is subjective, generally the best way to assess which way to look is which direction your taking the bike, some of the roundabouts used on test routes (in my area) involve exiting into the r/h lane of the exit from the l/h lane of the roundabout, in this case the lifesaver is over the Right shoulder. As a general rule if you're moving the bike more than a couple of feet in a direction then it's a good idea to do a lifesaver in that direction about a second before you commit to moving. Try thinking of it as making sure noone is trying to sneak up behind you & put themselves into the space you're about to occupy.

Hope that helps, happy riding:smile

Reply to this Topic
Mead2012

Aug 12

Mead2012 says:

Explanations

Nicely said, Adie!

Reply to this Topic
roadglue

Nov 12

roadglue says:

wobble your head about

I know this is an old post but its one i came across before i took my mod 2 and people who are looking for info in the future will probably come across it too.

Like many i had a bee in my bonnett about lifesavers and rear obs.I was sure if i failed, it would be because of my obs.I was completely overthinking things.

In the end i decided i had to ride my natural ride and not try and guess what an examiner wanted to see.When you do that ,you do the obs that are needed and not ones that are just for show.It worked for me.

I was shocking on the brush up training session i'd booked before the test. I had been riding to try and please my instructor.But on my test i was fine.

You can always just look in mirrors a lot and wobble your head about.That sometimes works :)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices