You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Removal of ABS

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

matdave

Jul 12

matdave says:

Removal of ABS

My GS 1200 - 'round the world bike', has fallen to the incredibly unreliable servo assisted/abs system - replacement/repiar around £2000. Out of my budget, my solution is to take the bike to the non-abs version - bike available in both abs/non abs models.

There are kits to bypass the unit as far as brake pipes, canbus causes issues with electrics.

I am not sure where I would stand with insurance, any advice would be gratefully received.

I find it hard to believe that BMW have fitted such unit, (Replaced with non-servo system in later models) non repairable and so expensive to replace.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 July 2012 00:45)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

Abs Removal

I would think it would be hard to explain your actions to any bike insurance company, as they are staffed by sales persons who will have no idea of your explanations.  The bike would be Non-Standard . Sell the bike and buy one without any electronic aids.

The electronic gizmos being fitted to new bikes are a timebomb waiting to explode.  Cars will now fail the MOT if any of the ABS, Traction control , Air Bag etc warning lights fail to operate correctly.  My Peugeot 206 SW is off the road at the moment due to ABS light staying on, despite fitting 4 new wheel sensors. 

Only the dealer has the correct diagnostic tools to re-set the light . How to get to the dealer with no MOT?

How soon will it be before bikes have the same MOT problems.

I will stick with my   ZZR1100 and my VFR 750.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle