Skip to content

General Speed limits: 40mph plan for country roads General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Speed limits: 40mph plan for country roads

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Cleanwipe

Aug 02

Cleanwipe says:

Speed limits: 40mph plan for country roads

This is on the BBC website, for f**ks sake what next?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18840110

:upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 July 2012 17:34)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"The National Speed limit has been read its rights and is slowly dissapearing,"

But if the 85% rule still applies how can they get rid of the 60mph national speed limit? Can't have it both ways.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

When I win the lottery...

... I'm moving to the Isle of Man

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

IoM

Has been infected too, practically only "end of speed restriction" left now is t' mountain!:upset:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Steveb,

"When I did my test, failure to make decent progress was a fail..."

Exactly!

In fairness to you, Scratchnsniff, I'm referring particularly to drivers who do 40mph on open 60mph roads in good conditions for no reason other than they're not able to process information if it's coming at them any faster. Many of those still can't avoid hitting or straddling the centre line on right-handers, and yet when they get to a 30 limit some of them don't even slow down. They obviously need further training. And it's not only pensioners.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

IOM

'Has been infected too, practically only "end of speed restriction" left now is t' mountain!'

Really? :-(

There where loads of unstricted roads in the North of the Island last year all round Jurby. There was a 60mph limit on one of the long straights approaching the air field but most of it was still unrestricted outside of the villages.

Times are changing, but sadly not for the better in my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Test Hasn't changed

You'll still fail for "not making due progress"

The 60mph single carriageway limit was set a long time ago, it was a safe speed to maintain in most conditions then and certainly is now. Speed is not the issue, other than for the spin doctors/politicians & any other self opinionated twit who thinks their Opinion has more weight than scientific fact.

James, you beat me to the same point, I'd like to see these "carry on at the same speed regardless" brigade taken to task. We've all seen them... 40mph (where it's safe to do 90mph), then enter a village & go past a school at kicking out time at 40mph!

These types of road users are a true menace/danger, those that are unable to make progress in a safe manner, not able to plan & anticipate, unfortunately it's these very people the gov't are trying to appease in their "one size fits noone" (blindly conform without question) style of rules, it makes it's v easy to make it look (and not cost much) like they're doing something when in truth it does nothing. A much more effective method would be to educate more and make the test harder to pass (it's been getting easier over the years to get a car licence whilst at the same time getting significantly harder to get an M/C licence!:mad:)

The changes on 19 Jan 2013 kinda add weight to my last sentence! 

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

steveb

OK you got me, I'm a little biased toward a few "significant" roads that form a little known "circuit" ride around a bit of the island!!:wink: 

Mind you, they made a really good decision making the mountain one way all week, reduced the "rush" on "Mad Sunday"!!:wacko::lol:

Quite agree mate "the times they are a'changin" 

Oh Crap! I sound like me DAD!:blink:   

Reply to this Topic
scratchnsniff24

Mar 11

Steveb

You cheeky blighter you! :lol:
The only reason I go anywhere slowly is because I'm on a YBR, and/or because its pissing down and there are 4 petrol stations and umpteen roundabouts on my commute route. When it rains they get slippery.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices