Skip to content

Discuss This Biking roads could be hit by 40mph plans General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Biking roads could be hit by 40mph plans

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

Biking roads could be hit by 40mph plans

Popular motorcycling routes could be among those affected by plans to reduce 60mph rural speed limits to 40mph. Councils should consider the reduction on roads with ‘many bends’ and a ‘considerable number’ of vulnerable road users including ‘motorcyclists’, the government proposals say. Ian Mutch, president of the Motorcycle Action Group, said: “MAG is anxious about the danger of this giving support...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 July 2012 17:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

PC Nutters

I've said this many times before on MCN but I'm going to say it once again.

ANYBODY here who voted Labour/Tory/Liberal at the last GE don't moan here.

YOU voted the bastards in.

YOU take what's coming to you.

Get off your f***ing knees and do something at the next GE or stop whinging.

Every time it's the same thing, moan, moan, moan, but at election time you do F**K ALL about it.

Reply to this Topic
Hyabusa1340

Apr 11

Hyabusa1340 says:

40 MPH

I live in a village. Cars come down the 30mph road at 50 -60 mph. then they brake hard for the 20 zone...! No amount of this B- - - - - - will stop the problem of twats in cars...

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Speed

The country is broke and motorists are a prime target

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I reckon ......

There should be a council expert waiting for us at every bend to show us how to go around it properly. If they can find £9 billion for the railways and all that.... ( Personally only used about 5 times in nearly 50 years).

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

It's cheaper

It's cheaper to slap a load of lower speed limits around the country and nick the odd person for speeding than it is to have more police on our roads to nick the dangerous drivers (and riders, yes there are a few out there). The fact that the courts aren't behind us at all, makes a joke of the whole system. It seems impossible for a driver to get a conviction for dangerous driving these days. Piss poor work by CPS and lack luster police especially when bikes are involved.

Yet again, the government haven't a clue on how to make the roads safer. Slower speeds, drivers will think it is safer to text, twitter and google while driving.

Of course they then don't have to look after the road surface as much either as we'll all be on gravel. Maybe that's why adventure bikes are on the up; cope with the roads.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

The way I see it...

You have open full speed country roads with a 40 limit on & you get to a village with a 40 limit on... so you've been sensibly liberal with your interpretation of the 40 open road limit but where's the deliniation?... where does it become a town where you really should be driving with extra consideration to pedestrians & residents?... it's being left to the individual to decide when they should take a risk in disobeying an irrelevant speed limit rather than "here fast, here slow"... The practice of introducing irrelevant speed limits is commonly called crying wolf... telling people it's not safe to drive at a certain speed when it quite clearly is for most of the intelligent population.

Forcing people to do something that doesn't make sense unfortunately means thay'll probably ignore it even when it does make sense.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

piroflip...

That's assuming all us" moaners " voted for those parties of course!! Who should we vote for ?

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

This does not go far enough!

I demand that the government think more about safety!  We need ths speed dropped to 4mph, not 40mph.  And then a person to walk in front of the motorycle carrying a red flag and announing "Vulnerable road user approaching, take care!"

Then we will all be totally safe and children won't lose mummies and daddies to an RTA.

Think of the chuildren!

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

In all seriousness

What is the % of rural roads to all other in the UK?
What is the traffic volume (by miles travelled) on those roads?

If those figures come out at around 49%-ish, the OF COURSE you get 49% of accidents on those roads.  Jay-zuz wept.  And, of course, we'd need to be certain that speed was a causal factor in the accidents.  Whilst higher speeds (via the might KE=0/5mv^2) do mean more severe crashes, there's no point in reducing the limit if you are not going to impact the number of serious/fatal crashes.  Are you more likely to survive if you bodily impact a tree at 40mph rather than 60mph?  (i.e. sudden-stop scenario)  I dunno and I bet the council doesn't either.

As to what the minister says, it's also vital the councils repair the roads and don't leave them covered in vast swathes of marbles (i.e. gravel).

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

speeeeeeed

I think this point's been hinted at already, but I was riding along thinking about other things in a 40-50 country area thinking it should be 60 on this nice plenty wide enough tarmac, when I spotted a sign that explained the reduced limits aqs a result of speed causing the major accidents on this stretch of road. OK I thought, but what was the speed? If they were all caused by people doing 60, then I guess there's something in it, but I couldn't help thinking that it's more likely someone charging into a bend at 70-80+ (possibly on their phone), and losing it, or drifting over to the other lane taking out another road user doing 60. From this I concluded that it would therefore be ok for me to carry on doing 60, as the thinking clearly must be that if you do 20 over the limit, a limit of 40 will make people do 60.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices