Skip to content

Discuss This Biking roads could be hit by 40mph plans General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Biking roads could be hit by 40mph plans

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

Biking roads could be hit by 40mph plans

Popular motorcycling routes could be among those affected by plans to reduce 60mph rural speed limits to 40mph. Councils should consider the reduction on roads with ‘many bends’ and a ‘considerable number’ of vulnerable road users including ‘motorcyclists’, the government proposals say. Ian Mutch, president of the Motorcycle Action Group, said: “MAG is anxious about the danger of this giving support...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 July 2012 17:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DavidHondaCBF

Mar 10

Personally if I'm riding down a 60 road at 60 and I think "this is an unsafe speed" I slow down... the government seem to be under the impression that on a dark wet icy twisty slippery country road everyone feels obliged to do 60 unless they put a 40 sign up. The fact is the majority of people can make their own minds up on what speed is appropriate for them on a certain road. If people are willing miss use speed in a 60 zone, chances are they'll still do it in a 40 zone.

Reply to this Topic
burnthouse

May 12

burnthouse says:

So the figures... ...49% of UK road deaths occurred on single carriageway rural roads with a 60mph speed limit, according to government figures... Are these figures broken down into more meaningful figures... cars pulling out of concealed driveway or side roads or driveways without looking both ways.... accidents due to underfunded road maintenance... accidents due to farmers dragging a ton of mud when pulling out from a field and depositing a 2mm mud/clay coating on the next 50 yards of carriage way.... or drunken idiots driving home over the limit hoping take it home before they pass out or runinto some poor expecting motorcyclist... It is so easy to blame speed first.... massive crash on M5 don't recall any mention of reducing motorway speed limits.

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

Councils

Turning us into a nation of curb-crawlers.

Reply to this Topic
billisherwood

Feb 11

40 MPH Rural Speed Limits

For very many years speed limits have been set using guidance which included two basic tried & tested criteria. They may still be, for all I know. I retired a few years ago & things may have changed.

The first, the speed criteria, was based on the assumption, a valid assumption in my view, that 85% of all road users drive at a reasonable speed, appropriate to prevailing conditions, highway layouts, etc. This by definition implied that the fastest 15% of drivers are the ones who do so without due regard for the prevailing conditions. Speed limits were set at a level which would only target the fastest 15%. An 85ile speed in the low 30s would point to a 30mph speed limit being set and so on.

The second, the environmental criteria, relied on the level of development along the road in question. Basically, development in depth alond both sides of the road would indicate a 30mph limit. This is the level of development one would expect in densely populated urban areas, with  considerable levels of housing, schools, numerous  side turnings, etc. In these areas, an experienced motorcyclist or motorist will percieve the likelyhood of potential hazards to be great, & drive appropriately. Similarly, ribbon development, or single sided development in depth, as one might expect in a rural village, would indicate a 40mph speed limit.

These criteria, together with additional guidance for 20mph speed limits in certain circumstances, for the most part led to the development of a countrywide system of appropriate speed limits which could be enforced by reasonable levels of policing & largely had the respect of the motorist.

It should be remembered, however, that Highway Authorities are responsible for setting speed limits, & these are headed up by elected members, who act, for the most part following the advice of their officers, but sometimes,often for well-meaning reasons, stray outside the criteria & set inappropriately low limits.

If speed limits continue to be set by Highway Authorities, with elected members following the advice of well trained officers who have a background in, & an in-depth knowledge of, traffic engineering, then we have little to fear.

What worries me is that, at least from what has been reported so far, the coalition, supposedly pro-motorist, government are advocating a blanket approach to speed limit setting, which will inevitably lead to inappropriate speed limits, as perfectly good riding roads are lumped in with minor low speed ones.

I'm afraid that Ian Mutch is going to be busy!!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

billsherwood

"If speed limits continue to be set by highway authorities, with elected members following the advice of well trained officers who have a background in & in-depth knowledge of, traffic engineering, THEN WE HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR "....clears throat, pulls up soap box........ ARE YOU HAVING A STEFFI GRAFF????? They all F-----G hate us. Once these speed limits are imposed they will raise more and more money and criminalise a substantial portion of otherwise respectable motorists. E.G. Someone travelling perfectly safely and totally focussed in a more than capable vehicle, that breaks a limit by 10%. Pick on the crap and dangerous drivers and not the vast majority. I am damned if my enjoyment is to be curtailed (after 33 years of Driving and Riding At my own pace) By a bunch of pen pushing PUBLIC servants. As someone famous once said "Power to the people".... Deep breath...kick soap box way into the distance.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

update on soap box...

Just had a speeding ticket..(ffs) growllll.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Government proposal.

Majority of motorcycle deaths are due to excess speed, rider error and other bad road users. Lowering the speed limit will not: Stop riders from speeding if they speed now Stop riders from making mistakes Make other road users pay attention and drive like a decent human. In other words - Lowering the speed limit will not make the roads safer. Maybe if its a case of a tractor emerging from a field then it would be safer but I for one would like to see tractors on the road with no massive spikes or buckets on the front or back before putting up tiny red/grey signs everywhere.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

speed limits

By the look of things we may as well sell our bikes and buy pushbikes or electric bikes and join the long metal snakes which bumble and totter along most UK roads.  If my favourite roads are reduced to 40mph I'll just hang up my leathers and the government/nanny h&s/ middle England bike haters will get their way. At least I can remember a time when the roads were uncongested and not clogged with stupid car drivers crawling along, when you could use the islands to practice knee downs without stupid 4x4s and MPVs taking the joy out of our beloved form of transport. OK rave over!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

bikerpete51

Don't give up yet my friend, Revolution is just around the corner ..."power to the people" (who ride bikes).

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

Are we in the 21st century or the 18th.

Modern bikes ,cars etc have better brakes and saftey equipment than ever before , They stop in much shorter distances than they did 10 years ago.

slowley but surley the cycleist and the dogooders are geting thier own way and we will all be ristricted to 20 mph everywhere we go ,towns and citys will be pedestrian and cycles only .

I will not submit to theese morons or control freaks who are so concerned about the deaths of some twats who ride or drive like fucking idiots,

We all like to ride fast but there is a time and place and it aint when the roads are jamed up the the sunday arsholes who cannot drive within a safe speed, or the old twat who dawdles every where.

Ride safe and screw the dogooders

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices