Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: How soon will China make a market-leading bike? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Poll: How soon will China make a market-leading bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: How soon will China make a market-leading bike?

Next week's MCN features a road test of a Chinese designed and built 650cc parallel twin naked bike called the WK650. It's at the forefront of a new breed of Chinese bikes with ever-increasing build quality and technical prowess, but still lags the likes of Honda, Ducati, Triumph etc by some way. So… pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 July 2012 11:51)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

they already do

What about beemers and Suzuki GSXRs? BMW outsource large parts of their manufacturing to China and they're not exactly short on build quality!

Triumph also have a factory in Thailand although that's mostly to feed the aisan and Pacific Rim markets, and I understand the quality from that factory's pretty good too. and Suzuki have been manufacturing in Chana for a number of years now - so I guess it's only a matter of time until we see home-grown Chinese products which rival the Jap and European counterparts.

Baz 

Reply to this Topic
harley1994

Feb 10

harley1994 says:

surely the A and N has been missed out in the model number... and what do you mean by market leading? im sure a chinese made bike leads the market in china. havent been on this site for months now i know why . Its still full of tabloid style half arsed writing...

Reply to this Topic
v2kiwi

Mar 04

v2kiwi says:

Rode one last week

here in Australia. A mate of mine who has raced MX for 20 years  had no road licence , He got one of these for $6900 brand new to do a year on after reading ALAN CATHCARTS  test on it a few weeks ago.  It,s a great bike for the money and will hopefully see many young guys get on the road as a first bike. It does every thing an ER6 which it,s pretty much a copy of , or a SV650 will do. The big test will be the long term. But as my ol man always says , when the first Honda 4 turned up, " They won,t be round for long" (jap bikes he mean,s ) so the time is here and China is now the world,s factory. This NK 650 is only the beginning.

Reply to this Topic
JKF011

Oct 11

JKF011 says:

They have no real incentive. Their and other Asian markets are huge and growing apace. They do not need to make a 600/750/1000/1200cc market leader in the West where that market is shrinking.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Never

China can only copy and those copies are normally of super low quality even though they are cheap. Hell china cannot even make any descent cars let alone a class leading bike. They can manufacture massive volume but the quality and innovation is zero.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

CFMOTO 650

NK is just a UK branding, the same blight that already sees the exact same Chinese made bike being sold under 3 or 4 different UK brands, with the attendant "sorry, Computer Says No" insurance hassles (I speak from experience).

The CFMOTO 650 is not "designed" in China in any meaningful way. It's a Kawsaki ER6-n clone made of the usual random monkey metal and sporting a £4200 price tag, exactly the same as a Korean made Hyosung GT650 - which is itself largely an SV650.

Personally I don't find that price even remotely tempting, given the guaranteed depreciation, the parts and insurance lottery, the unknown longevity, and what I'd fully expect to be a "Nah, they all do that plus it's had unreasonable use, innit" joke warranty from the splatter of "down the industrial estate, round the back of the pallet fire" dealers who will stock it.

It's neither original, nor better than anything else, and worst of all, nor is it significantly cheaper.  I've heard from one (1) dealer who got one (1) in, and had one (1) buyer lined up... but who then came to his senses.  Sadly, no test ride report, he wants to keep it mint - which I read as: he's too nervous to ride it in case it falls apart before he can sell it.

Truth to tell, I hope that it does well and that there are loads of them around used in a few years, holding up well and going for bargain prices.  But there won't be, not at that sticker price.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Quick clarification

The GT650 might be headlined at £4700 online, but dealers will part with them for a much more realistic £4200 OTR.  I'm not even sure this "WK" is £4200 registered and plated.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

I wouldn't buy one because I feel that we should support european car and bike manufacturers. If we don't we will loose them.

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

dont be so sure

i remember as a kid people saying exactly the same about those tinny funny little jap crap bikes ! when i bought my first bikes all yamaha 2 strokes i was ridiculed,but not for long !!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Not for quite some time

The chinese bought benelli motorcycles a few years ago so any new 900 Tornado's/ TNT's etc are technically chinese. I wouldn't consider a real chinese designed and made bike though for quite some years because I think they have severe quality issues and are too quick to throw any old rubbish in to the smelting pot.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices