Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: How soon will China make a market-leading bike? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Poll: How soon will China make a market-leading bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: How soon will China make a market-leading bike?

Next week's MCN features a road test of a Chinese designed and built 650cc parallel twin naked bike called the WK650. It's at the forefront of a new breed of Chinese bikes with ever-increasing build quality and technical prowess, but still lags the likes of Honda, Ducati, Triumph etc by some way. So… pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 July 2012 11:51)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

no time soon

Good bikes, piss cheap components... I don't know why people seem to think that the chinese are inherently shit at building stuff... i bet every smartphone you have owned in the last 5 years have been made in china, Apple Macs ( I'm not going down this road.) are really good quality products that last for years and work well are made in china... I think it doesn't matter who made it or where but if its a cheap bike, its cheap components that will fail. It just shows that unless you are willing to accept a dip in your profit margins good machines can't be built for all that much less than the japs do it. Finally, everyone wants a cheap bike or a winter hack etc etc... but cheap is cheap for a reason, the chinese are simply responding and bringing those deals over here, how many people complain about honda or triumph making a cheap 125 etc for the indian market yet won't buy a chineese bike. I think the reason honda etc don't bring cheap here is it will damage brand identity because some of us are so epically thick that we expect £10,000 quality on a £1500 bike... get a life...

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

Would you buy it ?

The domestic Chinese market prefers low price over high quality so they won't be making one for that market. Europeans value brands, and "made in China" is a bad brand. So even if they make one, no-one will buy it. The Chinese watch industry is the prefect example of this. Compare China to Japan, where quality is at the core of everything they do. We love made in Japan eh ?

Reply to this Topic
DARMHA900SS

Jul 09

DARMHA900SS says:

Don't be so quick to dismiss them!

I worked in the automotive industry in the UK for many years (For Japanese companies producing in the UK).

While you may think you are buying a UK made product most of the components are made in Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia.
As more and more UK, American and Japanese companies begin to build in China; the quality will filter down to the Chinese companies. Be warned, it's only a matter of time.

As for this bike, I think it looks great. Basically a copy of my Kawasaki ER6 n with a heavy dose of KTM styling.
I’d love to try one to see what it’s really like before condemning it as rubbish.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Dont be quick to judge

I would want to wait and see what the owners say first. I have heard stories from both sides of the spectrum. Let the majority decide. If they work , they work , and that will be the end of it.

I expect them to excel in the small displacement range though. Those guys have a pretty bustling market over in their country after all. Maybe learners will finally get a decent new bike for a cheap price. Just in time for the law change!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Well, a lot of people slagged off 'Jap Crap' in the sixites and seventies and the Japs had the last laugh as British bikes failed and disappeared. Whats to say the same won't happen for the Chinese. With the resurgence of Triumph and other European companies on the rise, it seems people are getting fed up with the same old yearly re-vamp of yet another sports bike and, in my opinion, for the most part, Honda have lost the plot completely with some of the products they are turning out.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

It's *not* cheap though

You can get a new Hyosung GT650 for £4200.  That'll hold its value better because people have at least heard of it.  You'll also be able to find it on insurance comparison lists, and parts will be very slightly more available.  I say "very slightly" as Hyosung spares support remains absolutely rubbish - ask about spares and you'll be directed to a salvage site, or to pattern sellers shipping from Korea.

OK, you can gamble that a Suzuki part might fit, just as you can gamble that a Kwak part might fit this CFMOTO - sorry "WK" - 650.  But it's an expensive learning process to be the first into the market, and you'll just be pouring money down a hole.

I've owned 2 Chinese-branded bikes, and they were OK.  Not great, not awful, just OK for the money.  But the money was £700, not £4200.  That's way, way too much to gamble.  Any owners of this 650 will have to have a lot more money than sense.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

personally...

I prefer an Indian...!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

personally...

I prefer an Indian...!

Reply to this Topic
bumbletrumpet

Jun 04

Setting the record straight.

I must say that I have never read so many misinformed comments and utter clap-trap from certain people posting on this forum.

After having covered a fair amount of miles on our demo bike, I have to question whether Phil West was riding the same model in his review in this week's MCN. Without exception, everybody who has ridden it has been extremely positive both about its ride and build quality. I understand that it’s all part of a journalist’s job to make interesting reading but Mr West has let himself down by seemingly making it his mission to find as many faults as possible and then to exaggerate them.

The thing that he calls a “crude, fake cover” on the exhaust is what is known as a heat shield: it keeps clothing away from hot exhaust pipes and often covers the area where the downpipes meet the silencer. Take a look...most bikes have them.  And on the subject of the silencer, it is nothing like an ER6N exhaust which he says it’s trying to mimic: it’s actually almost identical to a late model Honda Hornet 600 silencer. He goes on to say “the horn is just tacked on to the frame downtubes”. It is actually bolted onto a bracket, which is welded to the frame: again, just like any other bike. Why is this a bad thing on the WK, but it’s fine for every other manufacturer?

Finally, £4299 is not cheap enough? Come off it; it’s over £1600 cheaper than the Kawasaki and you get £200 worth of gear with it! I get the impression that if this bike was priced at £100, Mr West would say it’s worth £50. I would suggest to anybody who wants to read a fair and unbiased review of this bike to read Alan Cathcart’s article which can be accessed via the WK Bikes website, or even better, come and try our demo bike and see for yourself.

Gavin Nightingale, Nightingales Motorcycles, Rugby

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

satnav steve

you are so right i remember those days all bike makers with there heads up there arses  mcn and mcw saying it will never happen ............... now its happening again and the same old song

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices