Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What puts UK Fireblade buyers off ABS? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: What puts UK Fireblade buyers off ABS?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What puts UK Fireblade buyers off ABS?

Quick question for you: how many new Fireblades were sold in Germany without ABS last year? Answer: none. Every single one bought was the ABS-equipped model. For Britain, 35% of Blades had ABS, in France it was 20% and in Italy and Spain it was just 5%. Setting aside the racial stereotypes for a moment, let's concentrate on the UK, and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 July 2012 12:04)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Judge ABS by itself

Hi Sney, I am not a fan of traction control. In all my 150,000 miles of riding fast bike, I have never had use for it. I have a smooth trottle hand. But ABS, that's a different story. It is a lifesaver.

This would be a good way to look at ABS usage, and if one needs it.
Some riders probably do not need ABS if they only ride a couple of hours on select Sundays, on perfectly clear, dry, warm days. Because they are only putting less than a 1000 miles a year and statistically you should be safe from running into things or going off the road, where ABS can save your hide. On the other hand, with so little practice, this rider could use all the electronic safeguards.

But for anyone else who is a more serious rider, ABS is a must. Again, it's transparent, meaning you don't know it's there, and you ride and brake normally, until in that emergency where you need it.

Lastly, ABS has no relation to other safeguards such as airbags on bikes or jackets. No need to dilute the discussion.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

What puts UK Fireblade buyers off ABS?

Possibly another factor is that the racers don't use ABS (I think) and sports bikers are mostly wannabees. I wouldn't be surprised to see road riders fitting those new brake lever guards used in Motogp, for example. Useless on the road but...racey!

Someone mentioned braking in corners, but is ABS helpful when leant over?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

ABS

Good, but it should be switchable,no one wants a SMoto or X'er without an off switch,simples.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Word on the street is that BMW are in talks with Martin Baker and hope to introduce Ejection seats with matching "his and hers" Motorad embossed Chutes on the new K1600S which, apparently will also come with anti lean devices (or Stabilizers)to help with cornering and built in comode for those riders who shit themselves when accelerating up to the safety limited 60mph top speed (40mph in rural areas).

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

The off switch

I demand an off switch. I want ABS but when it's snowy or I'm on a grotty dirt / gravel track and I'm riding with normal tyres I need full control because ABS can't understand the situation. The bike will slide about - ABS won't help matters if it kicks in. It's exactly the same as riding off road - you press the brake and you know there will be slip, you've anticipated and planned for it. All ABS does here is confuse matters.

The rest of the time (and even when there's light snow on the ground) it stays on and has only ever misbehaved on the rear due to a heavy right foot and a poor rear shock set up. The shock set up I've fixed. The right foot is heavy and digital.... and it's not changing.

Give me ABS but ensure that when it is occasionally in the way it can be switched off. I do appreciate most bikes, such as sports bikes will never see a dirt track or snow however. That is possibly because these people are sensible and I'm an idiot.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

philtheidiot

You have a valid point.

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

2nd highest

What your backwardly worded article really says is that uk has the 2nd highest uptake of abs, falling behind only germany (which in itself is a special case). Given the strong correlation betwen abs uptake and economic doo doo each country is in, i'd hazard a guess that the primary reason is financial.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Yes, the off switch

I agree that the switchable ABS is a cool idea.  I have it on my K1300S and it's available on sport b ikes as such and on Enduros as well.

Reply to this Topic
enzo1098

Aug 08

enzo1098 says:

Racial stereotypes?

Here I was thinking that using European countries that are predominately Caucasian would nullify a race variable. But then as I have discovered a small number of Brits are bigots, like the Brit who penned this pole.
Ohh the answer is, it rains so much in Britain you all fall down when the Taxi pulls out in front of you with no warning!

Reply to this Topic
andyinvienna

Nov 05

andyinvienna says:

Off switch

Yes we need to be able to switch it off, on wet and the gravel its great, but on the dry street? Progressive braking to throw the weight onto the front, ABS the bike sits up which appears to make it worse in the dry, though I have a 07 CBF1000 with ABS and even tough its on permanently, it so far has not interfered with my braking in the dry, but still I would like to be able to turn it off in good weather

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices