Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: I think my biking mates may be dangerous General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: I think my biking mates may be dangerous

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: I think my biking mates may be dangerous

For the last year I've been going out on rides with a group of people I got talking to at a local bike meet. To start with I didn't really see them because I was so slow that they just cleared off (I only passed my 18 months ago). But now I'm getting a bit quicker I've seen what looks like...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 July 2012 13:18)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

To be honest

I usually go out on my own for this very reason - that way I don't get peer pressure taking me beyond my own limits. My view is that there's more than enough stupidity on the roads without adding my own.

The other point is that the faster you go, the more pin-sharp your mind needs to be on the job, which isn't always easy; if you back off a bit, you can relax more and your riding becomes more "fluid" (smoother) - because you've had a chance to plan things out. The smoother you are, the genuinely faster you'll become.

There are "those" riders who blame accidents on other drivers for pulling out / changing lanes etc - when in fact that rider has been coming so fast the driver didn't have a chance to spot them anyway - co-operating with other traffic is a two-way thing. There are also riders who go crashing into a mates bike in a group, because a rider up front has slowed for some reason (eg roundabouts / traffic etc), and the one behind doesn't.

When all said and done, if anything goes wrong on a bike you'll inevitably come off second best - so do your own thing, keep within your own limits and stay rubber side down.

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

Courage

Pluck up the courage and talk to your mates, explain why you're stopping riding with them. Taking abusr or being mocked is fairly likely, but that doesnt mean they havent taken it to heart, its probably just a reaction out of pride. Its their riding, so you dont owe it to them, but you seem to care about them so speak up.

Reply to this Topic
twowheeltours

Mar 11

I have a number of friends I enjoy going riding and a number of friends I avoid. Bikeriding is an individual sport, the right speed for you does not necessary need to be the right speed for your ridingpartner. Select your ridingpartner with the same care as you select the partner you share breakfast with.

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Group riding

...requires a few things: most importantly an understanding of each other and how well/bad some people ride.

Personally, the group i ride with are quite fast, i started out with them and i was slow but we have always had a few rules:

If you drop behind, keep going straight on the road your already on, if the others turn off someone will wait for you (drop off system)

When over taking, the lead bike will stay on the other side of the road until traffic comes indicating to those behind its safe to overtake until he moves over.

RIDE AT YOUR OWN PACE keeping up with others is not mandatory, you will become faster all in good time, arse time in the seat beats any course you can do.

Remember.....its great going for a spin with the lads, but you want to return home and go for a pint after, also you're not going to get signed by Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki ect ect from a knee dragging corner or roundabout or doing 180mph in the wrong place.

There is nothing wrong with doing all of the above, just pick your time and place well and you should survive for a few more rides.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Then

they probably are ;-)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hmmmmm another real question from a real person? .....NOT. However my answer would be Quit riding with these Lycra clad Bikers and leave the yellow jersey to MR Wiggins. Is France flooded too ????

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Many years ago, I knew a guy who was still riding in his late 70s and he used to say 'Its better to go slow on your bike than fast on your arse'! Take your time and look at the views rather than the white line. If you want to go fast, do a track day.

Reply to this Topic
burnthouse

May 12

burnthouse says:

group riding

I have heard many a tale of on foolish overtake causing the whole group to be involved in an accident... as u say the desire to keep up becomes all... you notice less about the risk and more about being left behind. My advice (12 on bikes) to you if you enjoy ur motorcycles more than ur life then carry on with ur mates.... Or else you can always go out by yourself... I ride a 200 mile route around Cornwall when weather permits, (3000 miles this year) and I love it... the mods I've made are because I wanted them and not to impress the group... I ain't slow but I know when its safe and when it is not safe to go fast or overtake. A useful tip I use is if you think its safe to overtake... think if I was to overtake now... then count to 10, if another vehicle approaches from the opposite direction... then think I may have been in an accident. This will help you work gauge when its safe to overtake. Be safe and remember sometimes man and machine can be fun to.

Reply to this Topic
Grey Crow

May 06

Grey Crow says:

I don't suppose any amount of advice from a beginner will make any difference. If they were prepared to listen to you then they would probably already have enough self-awareness to realise that they are riding dangerously. The best thing you can do is leave them to their own devices and hope that when the inevitable occurs, the survivors learn from their mistakes.

Reply to this Topic
mrcornerslut

Jul 12

mrcornerslut says:

If your not comfortable with the way there riding and you think there riding dangerously, its probable best just to find another group of people to ride with. If you like riding with them/ look up to them (as a new rider), just remember if you start doing the same the same results will follow and once ingrained in you it's hard to get rid of (trust me iv tried)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices