Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: I think my biking mates may be dangerous General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: I think my biking mates may be dangerous

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: I think my biking mates may be dangerous

For the last year I've been going out on rides with a group of people I got talking to at a local bike meet. To start with I didn't really see them because I was so slow that they just cleared off (I only passed my 18 months ago). But now I'm getting a bit quicker I've seen what looks like...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 July 2012 13:18)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mrcornerslut

Jul 12

mrcornerslut says:

If your not comfortable with the way there riding and you think there riding dangerously, its probable best just to find another group of people to ride with. If you like riding with them/ look up to them (as a new rider), just remember if you start doing the same the same results will follow and once ingrained in you it's hard to get rid of (trust me iv tried)

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

In a few years time and a bit more experience you might come to realise that they weren't that dangerous.

Your "mates" can probably read the road ahead better and know when it is safe to ride fast.

You don't become an expert overnight.

Reply to this Topic
charlie2128

Aug 10

charlie2128 says:

time

There are many points/ views on this if you went out now with people just passed there test you would be miles ahead of them and they would say the same thing about you. It may look dangerous 20/30 metres back but can you see what they see? I was the same but my mates toke turns to stay behind at my speed to teach me the right lines and overtaking moves, we also discussed breaking, gearing for bends, overtaking. You need to take to your mates and don't take one persons view but a collective view on such matters and make your own judgement. Remember time and having an open mind to learning for other people will bring your riding on. just be sure to wear the right gear and don't speed in 30', 40's and 50's, police will be hard on you in these areas as there is a reason for these speed restriction i.e. junction, schools etc Safe riding bud

Reply to this Topic
andyinvienna

Nov 05

andyinvienna says:

Riding in Groups

I rode the other weekend in a group of 15, it split up into roughly 3 groups. every now and again the lead group would stop and allow the other 2 groups to catch up, I enjoyed the ride, all were allowed to drive within their own comfort zone, and that's the key, do not let yourself get carried away, remain in your comfort zone, if they are a good set of riders, they should stop and wait for you, if not find a group that will.

I have also rode with a friend in the Swiss Alps, he was very quick and soon gone on his Ducati, but at every junction he was there waiting for me

Reply to this Topic
phoenixs

Feb 06

phoenixs says:

mates?

when we take someone new out with us one of us will stay at the back (usually me) regardless of their experience. every group rides differently,  when we come to a stop if they are doing anything wrong (like braking in a corner argh) you can point it out to them. if they speed through villages theyre given 1 chance only to rectify the bad habit or they never ride with us again, 1 guy who started riding last month has problems with corners, on watching him he was trying to steer round, he did not know about counter steering but after explaining it he now trys it he's not brilliant but will get there eventually.

so i'd say if 1 of them can't hang back with you they're not mates,  try find a new group 

Reply to this Topic
kpandinu

May 09

kpandinu says:

Riding

Hi I just wanted to give you my point of view. I use to be in a big group riding and I was one of the middle and on the front of the pack.

I had a Honda Hornet 600 which I use to go really fast on and push the bike to the max. My mates always had R1 etc which I use to keep up with.
This was when I had just got the license. In Malta if you are 21 you can get the big license immediately. I was a bit naive and did not think that I could get hurt.

After some experience and near misses and friends going down. I started slowing a bit down. I realized if you want to have fun and be safe you would need to be in a small group with other 2 riders maximum 3.
I got use to their riding and them to mine; you get use to how they think if they will pass you from the inside etc. That is much better when you are a group of 3 maybe 4 max.

This way you can learn more.

I then got a Ducati 1198s corse and went a bit slower because it's much more expensive bike then I use to do on the hornet.
I got hurt when going to work with my hornet riding slow. The bike got totaled and I have a titanium shoulder. The doctor said I should never ride again but will see, I still have not yet decided.

After the story I wrote you. I just wanted to say that when you are riding fast you are more alert so in fact you are safer, because when you ride slowly you are more relaxed and bad things can happen more. I also would find smaller group 3 maybe 4 riders.

Aldo you should never go to your mates if they do not talk about it and tell them to slow down, they should do what they want but discuss a place where they would wait for you. Like this you will learn and you will ride how you actually want. Do this if you can't find a group that matches your taste

Reply to this Topic
M1kiboy

Dec 02

M1kiboy says:

I don't like riding in groups.  I am faster than most when I want to be and those who are much faster tend to have a total disregard for the law.  I pick and choose who I ride with most of the time and apart from safe overtakes I tend to be pretty much on the speed limit with making progress, as my priority.

My g/f is now pretty quick but we often ride with a newbie lassie.  We tend to put her at the front so we ride at her pace which at times can be dangerously slow.

It's all about being in the right gear, position and reading the road.  Why make an overtake if you have to brake hard or cause someone you have just overtaken to brake.  Keep it smooth.

Advanced training of some form will greatly help whether you stick it out for a test or not.  Often if you join an advanced group, you will find you are riding with a large group.

I'd rather take my time than not arrive at all, and I don't like riding with people who push the whole group.

We did a ride for heroes last year.  None of us knew where we were going and the lead rider was not allowing for new riders, guys with slower older bikes (Old Brit bikes) and traffic lights in town.  It was not a good ride at all with folk getting lost or fed up and heading home.

I orgainsed a ride out locally and did the scenic route as a group as we wern't going over 35mph, then split the group into fast and slow for the more open roads.  I picked roads that were interesting and fairly long so people couild go at their own pace and at the end, everyone would get back together.

It workd a treat though obviously you wont be able to that on every ride out.

Reply to this Topic
M1kiboy

Dec 02

M1kiboy says:

I don't like riding in groups.  I am faster than most when I want to be and those who are much faster tend to have a total disregard for the law.  I pick and choose who I ride with most of the time and apart from safe overtakes I tend to be pretty much on the speed limit with making progress, as my priority.

My g/f is now pretty quick but we often ride with a newbie lassie.  We tend to put her at the front so we ride at her pace which at times can be dangerously slow.

It's all about being in the right gear, position and reading the road.  Why make an overtake if you have to brake hard or cause someone you have just overtaken to brake.  Keep it smooth.

Advanced training of some form will greatly help whether you stick it out for a test or not.  Often if you join an advanced group, you will find you are riding with a large group.

I'd rather take my time than not arrive at all, and I don't like riding with people who push the whole group.

We did a ride for heroes last year.  None of us knew where we were going and the lead rider was not allowing for new riders, guys with slower older bikes (Old Brit bikes) and traffic lights in town.  It was not a good ride at all with folk getting lost or fed up and heading home.

I orgainsed a ride out locally and did the scenic route as a group as we wern't going over 35mph, then split the group into fast and slow for the more open roads.  I picked roads that were interesting and fairly long so people couild go at their own pace and at the end, everyone would get back together.

It workd a treat though obviously you wont be able to that on every ride out.

Reply to this Topic
M1kiboy

Dec 02

M1kiboy says:

Sensible riding wont make that much difference to a spirited ride if you have people who can ride rather than getting on a bike agoing.

One lad on a 125 rode happily in the fast group and a couple of sports bikes were in the slow group.

Reply to this Topic
M1kiboy

Dec 02

M1kiboy says:

Sensible riding wont make that much difference to a spirited ride if you have people who can ride rather than getting on a bike agoing.

One lad on a 125 rode happily in the fast group and a couple of sports bikes were in the slow group.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle