Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should the AR125 be rescued from history’s dustbin? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should the AR125 be rescued from history’s dustbin?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Poll: Should the AR125 be rescued from history’s dustbin?

When the Government relegated learners from 250s to 125s nearly 30 years ago, hopes of luring the next generation of riders hinged on two new two-strokes from Yamaha and Kawasaki. History has remembered the wrong one, argues Steve Farrell in this week's MCN. But is he right? Vote!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 July 2012 16:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

An old bike

is a good bike!

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

AR..se

No, an old bike is usually a nail.

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Special Edition

Did they ever do an AR-SE?

Reply to this Topic
Evogt

Apr 05

Evogt says:

Great times

I do miss the late 80's 125 strokers. Was great fun riding around on my 125LC trying to race every other 125 in site. For some reason my mate's AR was always quicker than my RD.

Reply to this Topic
KawaBootie

Jul 10

KawaBootie says:

No thanks

Had one as my first "proper" bike. Wish I had just gone for the RD instead or the TZR125 which had come out by then. Never felt any love for my first Kwak which to me lacked top end compared to the de-restricted Yamaha competition I tried.

Reply to this Topic
bcitral

Mar 10

bcitral says:

I had a full power AR125, which hammered the 'tuned' 125LC lads. It was smooth and fast.

I went down the tuning route and ruined the bike, Stan Stephans pipe and tune but its all in the rotary induction. Did a Pewrformance bikes frenzy the first day after it was rebuilt and it would only pull 80.

Standard it was pulling nearly 100mph.

Gutted.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

It didnt look as good as the RD125, that was a big part of the problem. The Rd125 was a scaled down version of the RD250/350.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Mini Gpz.......

Someone earlier commented that the AR125's looks let the side down. That the RD 125 Lc was in all a scaled down 250/350lc. The earlier,air cooled model RD 125 may have looked similar to the 200-250, but the LC version looked nothing like the 250-350LC,as i recollect? Anyway,the AR didn't have the RD name to help sell them as good as the CULT STATUS,MUST HAVE RD. Yet the AR,when you look through loyal,wishful and half shut eyes looked like a scale down GPZ 1100 (lol).Looking at the two bikes RD 125LC -AR 125 LC, i'd say there wasn't a lot in it really to choose,down to personal preference.Sadly those days are gone, sanitized by madness and OTT Laws. I think there's a lot of good and interesting bikes,from the 80's that the Japanese should never have scrapped,that today with updating would have sold plenty of units.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

AR 125.......Why is it aircooled?

Just a thought,but why is the bike in the Japanese ad AIRCOOLED? I always thought the AR 125 was Liquid cooled? Did they run out of 125's and substituted it with the 50-80 AR,hoping no-one will notice?

Reply to this Topic
jollyboyspecial

Mar 12

@bcitral either you had a faulty speedo or you have a faulty memory. To do almost 100mph would require mid thirties bhp. The full power AR didn't produce anything like that. @stressed1 that really is a good question. Presumably there was an air cooled version for the home market, or maybe some pacific rim markets. However trust MCN to pick the wrong photo.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices