Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What is your ideal capacity for a Japanese sports bike? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: What is your ideal capacity for a Japanese sports bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Poll: What is your ideal capacity for a Japanese sports bike?

600cc supersport bikes were once championed as the perfect bikes to tackle Britain's twisty, undulating back roads. But recent sales figures show a surprising lack of interest in the supersport market. Japan also seems less than excited by the class, with most supersport bikes receiving nothing but cosmetic upgrades over the last few years - the Honda CBR600RR is essentially the same...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 July 2012 17:12)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

As they don't make a twin you left with a 1000cc then you can be lazy and use the low end and midrange to enjoy yourself, without having to screem to wotsits out of it all the time just to get it going.

@Snev you have just described KTM's RC8R

Reply to this Topic
burnthouse

May 12

burnthouse says:

ideal capacity

I have ridden Kawasaki zxr and erf 600's, Versys 1000 and Vstrom 650. SV 650 and 1000 before settling with moding my 2010 Versys 650 ( Owned from new) a sweet parallel twin added new SP Engineering exhaust, new screen, hand guards, heated grips and my latest addition Michelin Pilot Road3 tyres to spice things up... I love it lots of fun highly usable... I ad a 2003 Fazer 600 before which had to be ridden hard to get the best from the engine... bit handling not so hot It's a bit like Goldilocks and the 3 bears with bikes for me 1000 to big 600 too small but a 800 parallel twin or triple, now that would be just the job either a Versys or Vstrom 800cc, as I'm only 5ft 7, don't make them too tall for my short legs but keep them fun (0;

Reply to this Topic
1motion

Jul 07

1motion says:

just add power

i love supersports and the handling and corner speed but I ride an 05' 636 and i can never go back to just 599cc's i think suzuki has it right... 750 is ideal... light chassis but with proper power

Please Kawasaki build a 750!

Reply to this Topic
enzo1098

Aug 08

enzo1098 says:

The lighter the better, so I would say sub 700cc like the Triumph is the best option. Most can't use the extra power. Here in Elbonia (sorry wrong post) Oz our insurance is based on cc and up to 725cc pays the same as a over 225cc bike. So again the Triumph is cheaper to own. So please everyone start making 675cc bikes!!! or upt to 700cc even.

Hey Ducati how about a small MultiStrada like we used to have? I'm sure they would be hot sellers in Australia.

Bring back the 200cc 2 stroke enduro's and make them motards

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Smaller is Better - To a Point

The 600cc super-sport bikes are a lot happier on the track than the street (at least at less than go-to-jail speeds), but the 250cc bikes are not quite enough for freeway use for a heavier rider in the hills. So I would like something in the 400cc range for an I-4 or 500cc for a V-twin for the street (but is not likely to be seen in the bigger-is-better US). : (

@ enzo1098 – I thought Ducati was bringing back a smaller Multistrada with the 796 engine? With your insurance situation, the 696 engine would make a lot of sense.

Reply to this Topic
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

Money Talks

Japanese bike sales have dropped because the value of the Yen has been sky high for the last 3 years.

The CBR600RR is around £9000, you can get so much more for your money from European manufacturers these days. The Japanese know this so they won't bother spending money updating a range thats going to get more attention from the export market.

Reply to this Topic
matthewdaytona

Feb 12

A class of its own

Looking at all the below comments i can see there is a lack of interest in the supersport 600 class. I myself ride a daytona 600 from 2003, however in a year or 2 i would ideally like to upgrade to a gsxr 750. simply because you dont have to rev the pants off of it to get anywhere. The 750 can be a screamer if you want it to but when you dont; there is plenty of low down grunt too. I fail to see the reason why Suzuki is on its own with this one. Why has Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki not even thought about making a 750 class? I am also glad to see the Japanese market has spotted the lower sales in the 600 class. Why was it that every year or so hey release a new bike with costs thousands more and yet all they have to boast about is 'shaving a kg here' and 'added an extra 3bhp!!!'. in all honesty is it really worth forking out over £9000 on a bike that virtually the same from 3-4 years back that half the money can buy? (just look at the price of the new R1 too!!) I love riding sports bikes and (sometimes) using the power that it has, however i feel that the market for NEW supersports is a dyeing breed. In conclusion the 750cc class is the best for me.

Reply to this Topic
ramparts

Nov 05

ramparts says:

Light and torquey

I've owned and test-ridden many bikes in my time, and I'm no spring chicken, and the bikes that impress the most are almost the ones that feel lively at low revs and that I feel comfortable on.

::

I currently have a fazer 600, carbed model.  Just a little too heavy and not enough torque low-down.  The 95 horses it makes at 7-8000 revs is totally wasted on me.

As I've aged like a fine wine ( or an old fence post, if I'm being honest) I've learnt to appreciate a bike at lower speeds.  Just being on the bike, in the open air, feeling the caress of the wind, hearing the sound of the engine, looking down the cleavage of women in sports cars, is more important to me that thrashing around, constantly checking mirrors for the boys in blue, constantly looking ahead for speed cameras, all the time trying not to overshoot a corner and suddenly finding myself trying to have a conversation, albeit fleeting, with a tree.

We need a low-power, high torque 750 in a light chassis, with self-adjusting valves, enclosed chain to stop the grease-fling, built in carrier that blends in with the bike, helmet storage in the tank enclosure, handlebars not too low, foot pegs and seat not too high, half/full fairing for aerodynamics.  By virtue of its low power it will  have low fuel consumption. It also needs 2 bulbs for dip, like the DL650 (wonderful lights) !!   And it shouldn't cost a bloody fortune.

I can then have the satisfaction of leaving the turbo-diesels behind at the traffic lights, out-grunting them from the roundabouts, bettering them in the running costs stakes and out-manouevring them just about everywhere else.

I actually don't want a sports bike, do I ?

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

I just downsized to a GSXR 750 and love it. bloody fast and light enough to chuck about. I can rev it like a 600 or be lazy on the torque. I've tested a few of the modern litre bikes and although they're fun you just can't use the power on the road safely which is not good on a bike that begs to be revved. For me a 600cc bike with more low and midrange grunt is perfect hence GSXR 750. It would be great of the other jap's made 750's, can you imagine a 750 Yam with crossplane crank?

I'm also curious about how many people that have commented actually run the smaller capacity bikes they say are best? I think there's alot of people that have the thou for bragging rights (not everyone, but alot). I could have but knew I have more fun on the 750

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

I've always though sporty naked bikes such as Triumph Speed Four or Street Triple are more fun on the road as the wind blast means you don't get as tempted to do custodial speed but still get the bells and whistles. For example I used to own a Speed 4 and it had fully adjustable suspension front and rear, braided brake lines and top spec brakes as standard. Ok on the track it doesn't have the top end mostly due to aero and gearing rather than outright power but on the road where outright straight line speed isn't as important as acceleration and handling you'd be amazed what you can pass/keep up with. I reckon alot of this is the riding position is made for full size humans and every brake test I've seen show the upright riding position gives better brake performance this combined with a better view of the road ahead allowing higher corner speed without taking too much risk really pays on twisty roads.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices