Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What is your ideal capacity for a Japanese sports bike? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: What is your ideal capacity for a Japanese sports bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Poll: What is your ideal capacity for a Japanese sports bike?

600cc supersport bikes were once championed as the perfect bikes to tackle Britain's twisty, undulating back roads. But recent sales figures show a surprising lack of interest in the supersport market. Japan also seems less than excited by the class, with most supersport bikes receiving nothing but cosmetic upgrades over the last few years - the Honda CBR600RR is essentially the same...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 July 2012 17:12)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
clanger26

Jul 12

clanger26 says:

More practical if you ignore the stupendous power

I have owned 600 sports bikes and a couple of 1000's. At the moment I  run a GSXR-1000 K3. The thous have the advantage of being a bit more roomy, torquey and surprisingly good economy - depending on the bike and rider. I regularly get over 50mpg on longer journeys despite 'making progress'. Less stress on the motor under road use means better longevity - who has ever had a valve shim changed on a 1000 ? I had a CBR600 which reurned 30mpg under the same riding conditions as the 1000 gives 50. And there is little weight penalty if lightness is your thing. A 1000 allows you to surf the torque and enjoy the bends without the thing being a tub of lard.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Bring back the 750cc gems!

Reply to this Topic
scottdiver690

Nov 09

best cc size

750 cc has always been a gem, thrashability of the 600cc with the extra torque makes them lovely to use/abuse, and lets not forget lazier ' sports' tourers like the V4 VFR 750.

Reply to this Topic
v2kiwi

Mar 04

v2kiwi says:

It,s not the capacity

that counts really , it,s the power characteristic s that are more important, in my opinion. You have to ring the nuts of an R6 to get to the performance and once you have you got to keep it spinning or there,s nothing . In contrast a 1000 has enough torque to be a better ride, but 180 hp, please it,s great fun for the track but on the road out right power is nt that important if you can actually ride . A V twin is hard to beat as a road bike ,it,s just that even Ducati,s are turning into more of a rev machine to get the power over the old long stroke motors. If Honda made an evolution of the FIRESTORM or SP3 it would be an awesome allrounder. An old air cooled 1100 DS monster is another great real world bike , But before you slate me  go ride one on your favourite Sunday ride  and you will see where i,m coming from. I ve had an SP2 for 7 years, had 3 other bikes in that time , but guess which one still resides here!  Rode a new speed triple R couple weeks back and that is something i could live with , but hey i,m getting old , I don,t need to look like i,m heading for the grid  to prove anything.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

why settle for adequate??

For me personally it's about ease of overtaking, how the engine feels at particular engine speeds, mileage and reliability. I don't get any particular satisfaction from caning a 600cc bike compared to a more relaxed yet just as quick ride on a bigger bike. So long as the bigger engined bike hasn't become a lumbering behemoth I prefer the choice of bigger torque with more relaxed riding that bigger capacity bikes offer.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

My choice would be 1000cc.

Reply to this Topic
kwackanacki

Nov 09

kwackanacki says:

750 / 1000

I run a zx7r and an R1 and had a few 600s, I must say that a bike such as zx is a great machine for all round use, in fact its why I never sold it - just too good. The R1 though is an out and out track focused tool and an awsome machine - the ZX is a 97 and the R1 an 07 its good to get off one onto the other and the key difference on a Sunday blast is comfort and power delivery, got to say though for any rider the ZX7 inspires lots of confidence on B roads where the R1 does not like bumps.

Reply to this Topic
mick662723

Mar 10

mick662723 says:

Bigger is better.

1000 cc is the best. Once you go up in capacity and then try a smaller bike, they feel slow, especially the lack  of torque. A GSXR750 feels weak after you've got used to a 1000. A 600 feels  just plain slow. Why would you want a slower bike?

Reply to this Topic
snapple

Apr 11

snapple says:

Big V-Twins!

The Japs need to bring out some 1000cc sports Twins.... I've had CBR's, GSXR's and an R1 but none of these even come close to my Duc 999s, yes they are a bit more comfy but the torque of the big twin means I'm faster than on my R1 everywhere apart from long straights....nothing sounds like it either!! would like to try an SP1/2 as have only heard good things, shame the paint schemes are the usual honda dross...

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

FWIW

I am faster on the zxr400 than on the cbr600f.

But for longer journeys I do prefer the cbr as its more comfy and not revving @ 14k for hours and hours.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices