Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi never an option to replace Casey Stoner at HRC MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi never an option to replace Casey Stoner at HRC

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi never an option to replace Casey Stoner at HRC

It was heralded as a potential HRC dream team with Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez together in a master and apprentice scenario for 2013. The reality though was Rossi was never even considered a serious option to return to the Repsol Honda squad for the first time since 2003. Having announced Marquez and Dani Pedrosa in its factory line-up in Mugello last...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 July 2012 11:10)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Unfortunately, unless Rossi can pull something out of the hat next year results wise, his days on factory machinery (other than Ducati) are pretty much done. His involvement with Ducati has done no end of harm to their reputation with loyal Rossi fans labelling it the Ducati POS... what other manufacturer would risk that?... give him a satellite ride & if he wins it's all good... if he's still P5-P8 then you're a safe enough distance away to wash your hands.

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

Rossi wouldent go to Honda

I dont think Rossi would goto a ready made winning bike,he is doing like he always has make a pig of a bike a winner.

Just this time its taking a little longer,I would like to see him on the tech 3 yam fighting with Lorenzo up front.

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

The way I see it this; to stay at Ducati is a massive gamble with no guarantee of a bike that can get close to the Honda or Yamaha. He’s already sacrificed 2 years of his career and buggered up his fine career racing stats as has JB for that matter.
A move back to a Jap bike would put him back on competitive machinery and give him every chance to get back racing at the front.
That said the challenge to help Ducati (and Audi) to get the Duke performing reliably will no doubt still be a big temptation but I were Rossi now I’d just hold my hand up and say tried but failed and offer to race for free for a decent bike and get back to winning ways. Who knows he may get back on a Honda or Yam and still be off the pace and then we’d all just have to admit he’s lost his edge and slowed down. Then I’d be the first to admit his time at the top was over…..but I’d put hard earned money on him winning again on a decent bike.

Reply to this Topic
andysxv550

Oct 11

andysxv550 says:

lets not forget marketing value..

All the riders have a value, some more than others, in pure marketing $'s Rossi is the golden goose that lays golden eggs. HRC have had nearly a decade without Rossi and have done well, in financial terms,  and they have Repsol. Yamaha have faired not so well, no title sponsor for the kast few seasons etc. Look at the sponsorship on HRC and Yam, have you noticed the Malaysian one's cropping up. Where are they both selling huge volumes of lower cc bikes? How many units has Spies help shift, how well would he be known in the Asian market? Not very. Personally I could see Yam looking at the dollar value from marketing by resigning Rossi, and whats the chances of bagging a title sponsor, alot better than where they are now. Even if Rossi didnt perform on track, he is a performing monkey when it comes to marketing. Bet Audi are looking at him the same way. even futher down the road if he wants to go 4 wheel racing. Picture a smoking Audi TT all liveried up with a big 46......

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

Winning Bike

Wherever Rossi goes (or stays) I just hope he is on a bike that can win the Championship.

I am convinced he could still challenge.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Remote indeed

No way Rossi would go to Gresini even with  the promise of factory kit. Not being in any official factory team just won't sit with him. Should he move from Ducati,the most likely many would expect is the Yamaha factory slot alongside Lorenzo. With Stoner gone,that combo would be best to bolster anticipation of 2013. Dorna would love to facilitate the move I'm sure and Yamaha won't be averse to it if Marlboro comes along for the ride.

Where such a possibility leaves Ducati is anyones guess. Maybe they pluck a rabbit out the current rider pool hat, go back to CF and start winning against the odds.

Then again there is the Tech3 issue,Yamaha USA and Spies.

Dovi already rumbling about SBK. Maybe he's onto something that has not been leaked yet. Its not like him to be so flippant in the press.

Stoner was the first domino,Lorenzo the second and Rossi will determine which way the rest fall into place for 2013 prototypes.

Reply to this Topic
andysxv550

Oct 11

andysxv550 says:

lets hope...

Wise words RobTZ, love or hate any rider or any manufacturer, they all put on a good show for us, it would be tragic for Rossi to end his career the way it's going, and more so for Ducati, if he stays and doesnt win, he will be remembered for alot of the wrong reasons and Ducati will get slated, audi could then pull the plug. If he goes and doesnt win, even worse for him, but who would ride the Ducati. Stoners talent only got him a single championship on it and then what......If he goes and wins on a Yam lets say, it will be a PR disaster for Ducati

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

Opne Question

Why is the Gresini/Honda realtionship so strained? What happened? I wd have thought a Honda satelite ride but with factory support wd have been great for VR....Gibernau did well at on the RCV211 at the Telefonica team.

Reply to this Topic
andysxv550

Oct 11

andysxv550 says:

any one fancy a coke...

Rossi did well when he went solo with the Nastro sponsorship, and there were mutterings before about some deal with CocaCola wanting to sponsor him. Like I said win or lose, any team won't lose financially if they keep or sign or resign him.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

@ cthwaites

I think the relationship between Gresini and Honda have become strain because Honda refused to lease them 2 bikes this year. From my understanding, Gresini had the funding in place to lease 2 bikes but Honda offered only 1. And on top of that, there were rumors that Gresini was looking at using another manufactures bike as a base for a CRT bike but it was said Honda told them they had to use a Honda because they are leasing a Honda GP bike. If true, it seemed a bit heavy handed considering Honda didn't want to lease them the 2nd bike but then mandated that they use a Honda for a CRT bike. Honda probably is not all that happy with Gresini because they didn't want to take Marquez. To accommodate Marquez and his whole team of mechanics, Gresini would have had to fire team members that had been with him for years. Being that Marquez probably was only going to be in the team for a year, Gresini didn't want to fire his long standing team members for a rider that was definitely moving on. All of this was resolved with the repeal of the rookie rule, but I'm sure Honda has not forgotten.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices